ALF sold, not honoring contract

NadineT

Jurisdiction
Florida
I placed my father in an ALF about 5 years ago. At the time, paperwork was signed stating how much the fees could be raised annually. The amount was a percentage that would have only added up to a couple of hundred dollars per month. The ALF was sold about 2 years ago. Since then they have instated a daily charge depending on the care needed by the resident. These charges range from $0 to $41 daily. So the additional charge could be about $1200 per month. My question is, should the ALF go by the original contract that was signed, or can they do whatever they want to since they bought the facility? My father is a 99 year old WWII veteran and I think this is horrible treatment and I cannot afford it, would hate to have to move him somewhere else at this stage in his life.

My question is, should the ALF go by the original contract that was signed, or can they do whatever they want to since they bought the facility?

What was done is evidenced by what was done.

If you dislike what was done, why not ask someone how and why it was done?

Be prepared, however, for your father's care contract not to be renewed, if you ruffle their beautiful feathers.

By the way, as you're not privy to the merger agreement; where the big fish gobbles up the minnow, you won't know if the increases weren't allowed.

In preparation for retaliation, I suggest you initiate a search for a new care facility for your father.

Winning a battle doesn't mean one prevails in the war!

should the ALF go by the original contract that was signed, or can they do whatever they want to since they bought the facility?

Depends on the terms and conditions of the original contract and subsequent contracts, if any.

Upload the original contract if you like. Redact any identifying information.

Depends on the terms and conditions of the original contract and subsequent contracts, if any.

Upload the original contract if you like. Redact any identifying information.

Thank you. I will look for the original paperwork. There were no subsequent contracts, just the admissions paperwork that included the amount of increase that could be charged every year.

Back