Air unit

MikellaSmith16

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
We recently bought a house in July 2017. During the process of buying the house the realtors were renovating the entire inside and outside so the air nor heat was ever running when we would come look at it. From the first day we moved in we were having issues with our heating and air system due not having one or the other. We notified them when we noticed the paperwork the inspector done stated everything was up to code and working properly and the realtor told my husband and I that it was a malfunction with the thermostat, but the air works. We called the company Wraps (the only company our warranty covered) and they sent two different employees two separate times to do a diagnostic which we were told the system is outdated, the Freon that the unit takes is outlawed, there's a leak in the inside coil and it's going to cost us out of pocket $3800 to replace and have a whole new system put in and that's help with the warranty. The system is not up to date with the NC law. Since the air wasn't really working when we moved in it has had to be like this awhile and they used their inspector from their company and he he stated everything was up to date and working.

At this point it seems you will have to rely on your warranty coverage. The time for you to discover this problem or verify everything was in satisfactory working condition was before you completed the sale.
For all you know the unit was in working order at the time it was inspected and sprung a leak after.
You might review the inspection paperwork and see if it offers any kind of guarantee, but even if it does it has likely expired by now.
I think this is one of those hard lessons about making major purchases- trust but verify. Don't sign anything or hand over cash until you are ready to be responsible for the problems that arise afterward.

Back