Agreement for sale, seller broke contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuilelaith

Jurisdiction
Nova Scotia
I'm looking for some advice in a situation where a contract was broken by a seller and if I have a case to pursue.

Oct 1 of this year, I entered an agreement with someone over text to purchase a horse for $1500. I know this person and have for a few years as we keep our horses at the same barn. She had me riding her horse for over a month before this as she is physically unable to ride or even manage this horse. So I asked her to sell, she agreed enthusiastically with "yes, absolutely". I made the offer of $1500 and she responded with "yes that works". She also agreed to terms that payment would be received at the end of October. She then proceeded to inform the barn owners and the trainer working with this horse that this deal is made and I am taking over the horse. This is all over text and I have all of this saved.

I attempted to pay her multiple times throughout the month but she kept referring to the agreement terms that I really didn't need to pay sooner than the agreed upon date at the end of the month.

Oct 22 she informs me that she no longer wants to sell the horse and is moving her from the barn. She did not acknowledge our agreement at all, ignored everything I said about it and was adamant she is no longer wishing to sell her. The horse has now been moved off the property and the seller has cut all ties with me so I no longer have access to this horse.

Obviously I'm devastated as I've become attached to this horse thinking the deal was done and she was mine. And it appears to me that we had entered a contractual agreement as the offer was made, it was accepted and terms for payment were made.

Do I have a leg to stand on here in pursuing legal action against her? She broke the agreement and moved the horse away before the date of payment so it's not like the agreement had expired in any way, it was still in effect.

Thank you all for your input!

It does appear to be a breach of an executory contract. Unfortunately, specific performance is not something you can take to small claims court. You'll have to hire a lawyer that will cost you more than the horse is worth and you won't get lawyer fees.

Making an agreement like that is always foolish.

Here's how it should have gone:

Nice horse. Will you sell it to me?
Sure, X dollars.
Sign this bill of sale and here's your money.
Thanks, here's your horse.

I'm looking for some advice in a situation where a contract was broken by a seller and if I have a case to pursue.

Oct 1 of this year, I entered an agreement with someone over text to purchase a horse for $1500. I know this person and have for a few years as we keep our horses at the same barn. She had me riding her horse for over a month before this as she is physically unable to ride or even manage this horse. So I asked her to sell, she agreed enthusiastically with "yes, absolutely". I made the offer of $1500 and she responded with "yes that works". She also agreed to terms that payment would be received at the end of October. She then proceeded to inform the barn owners and the trainer working with this horse that this deal is made and I am taking over the horse. This is all over text and I have all of this saved.

I attempted to pay her multiple times throughout the month but she kept referring to the agreement terms that I really didn't need to pay sooner than the agreed upon date at the end of the month.

Oct 22 she informs me that she no longer wants to sell the horse and is moving her from the barn. She did not acknowledge our agreement at all, ignored everything I said about it and was adamant she is no longer wishing to sell her. The horse has now been moved off the property and the seller has cut all ties with me so I no longer have access to this horse.

Obviously I'm devastated as I've become attached to this horse thinking the deal was done and she was mine. And it appears to me that we had entered a contractual agreement as the offer was made, it was accepted and terms for payment were made.

Do I have a leg to stand on here in pursuing legal action against her? She broke the agreement and moved the horse away before the date of payment so it's not like the agreement had expired in any way, it was still in effect.

Thank you all for your input!
Sorry, this site is United States laws only.

Do I have a leg to stand on here in pursuing legal action against her?

You're posting from Canada, in the Province of Nova Scotia.

Sorry, this site addresses the laws of the USA, her 50 states, and 6 odd territories.

I suggest you find a site that discusses the laws of Canada and her provinces/territories.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back