Aggressive pedestrians and cyclists vs. cars and trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLiou168

Driving in NYC the other day and (finally) found a parking spot. Directly adjacent is a bike lane. As I lined up (a brand new car!) to parallel park, I noticed a cyclist coming, so I stopped to allow him to go around me. As he passed by ,he punched a very large dent in my hood and shook his finger at me. 10 years ago I would've chased him down, restrained him, and called the police to press charges. Now, with a $810 body repair bill, I'm regretting that I did not.

I noticed that these days pedestrians and cyclists have a more entitled attitude with respect to motor vehicles. In fact, I watched a jaywalker kick a car last week that almost hit him. Question is... what can be done in the aftermath of such a situation? Would I be within my legal right to chase down a perpetrator who damaged my property and use reasonable force to restrain him/her until the police arrive?

I understand that this behavior can hardly be consider a felony, but others' property must be respected, and angry people taught a lesson.

These days, many miscreants are ARMED with weaponry that could KILL an enraged bull elephant.
I suggest we avoid self help remedies.
They tend to yield negative results.
In the end, only property was harmed.
Better a dent on your hood, than a slug in your heart.
If you can collect enough information to identify the perpetrator, call "911".
The police are paid by the taxpayers to address all crimes.
Otherwise, thank God Almighty that you weren't harmed and you aren't facing a murder rap over an $800 property beef.

Driving in NYC with a car newer than 10 years old is foolish. Especially since they can easily be purchased locally with scraped bumpers and low mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back