Agent "leaving keys" for potential buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassgirl01

We signed a one year agreement with a real estate agent we thought we could trust and would really work for us. We are 500 miles away.
The contract expired on 3/23. Right about then, the agent suddenly found an interested party and began asking me to sign an extension so she can "see this through." She then told me that she had given the potential buyer my email address so I could answer his questions.

Long story short, the buyer recently contacted me asking if he should be going through the agent or dealing directly with us, because the agent told him when they first talked that her contract was expired. The most disturbing part is that the agent has just been leaving him the keys "in a secure spot." He told me that the agent has NEVER gone with him to the property, but has given him the keys on four separate occassions! I know for a fact that she has just handed keys over to at least one other interested party... and we still have tools and valuables in the main building. (And these are not pre-approved / financially verified buyers.)

The agent has contacted me and asked me to honor our contract if this sale goes through. Before I knew the details, I told her I was willing to do that.

Do I have to honor that??? She not only has not shown him anything, from what the buyer tells me, she has done nothing other than give him my email address and the keys.
The property is a "multi-use," consisting of two commercial buildings, and two houses. One of the houses has a tenant, and the listing agent has made no attempt to let him see the house. He's willing to make on offer based on the word of our banker, who has been inside.

I am obligated to the real estate agent in any way? I feel like she has been deceitful, and in having given the keys out, very unprofessional. A friend of ours, who is maintaining the property in our absense, has shown the property to more potential buyers than the agent. To the best of my knowledge, the listing agent has only showed one building to one person.

Any advice??

No you do not have to honor that. In fact, I doubt you have any recollection of that conversation at all. The agent must have misunderstood something. The contract clearly expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back