Age of consent

Moonchild700

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Say there's a 18 almost 19 year old dating a 15 year old. The 18 year old lives in North Carolina and the 15 year old lives in Virginia. They are long distance but the mother approves of the relationship and brings the 15 year old to see the 18 year old sometimes. Both are female(lesbians). Would it be legal or apply with the age of consent?

Parents cannot give their children permission to break the law.

"Dating" is OK. However, don't believe that just because you're lesbians is getting you out of the statutory rape laws (at least here in NC). Sexual contact is pretty broadly defined and includes "touching the sexual organ, anus, breast, groin, or buttocks of any person; or person touching another person with their own sexual organ, anus, breast, groin, or buttocks."

Further, once you've committed this illegal act in NC, the fact that the minor was transported across state lines makes it a federal crime.

"Dating" is OK. However, don't believe that just because you're lesbians is getting you out of the statutory rape laws (at least here in NC). Sexual contact is pretty broadly defined and includes "touching the sexual organ, anus, breast, groin, or buttocks of any person; or person touching another person with their own sexual organ, anus, breast, groin, or buttocks."

Further, once you've committed this illegal act in NC, the fact that the minor was transported across state lines makes it a federal crime.
Okay so what if it's just dating and they don't do anything sexual?

Okay so what if it's just dating and they don't do anything sexual?

If that is the plan, then why ask the question about sex?

A 20 year old female/male who desires to date a 15 year old CHILD is concerned with things OTHER than friendship.

A young adult homo sapiens has NOTHING in common with a homo sapiens child, other than they are both homo sapiens.

If any adult (who is NOT the parent of a child) desires to spend time with a child it isn't about anything other than FREAKSHIP.

Rather than worry about if it is legal to "date" a child, you might consider seeking psychological analysis.

You need to understand why you desire to spend time with your intellectual unequals "children", rather than your adult equals?

keep-calm-and-leave-them-kids-alone-7.png

If that is the plan, then why ask the question about sex?

A 20 year old female/male who desires to date a 15 year old CHILD is concerned with things OTHER than friendship.

A young adult homo sapiens has NOTHING in common with a homo sapiens child, other than they are both homo sapiens.

If any adult (who is NOT the parent of a child) desires to spend time with a child it isn't about anything other than FREAKSHIP.

Rather than worry about if it is legal to "date" a child, you might consider seeking psychological analysis as to why you desire to spend time with your intellectual unequals "children", rather than your adult equals?

View attachment 2101
Because this isn't about sex. I'm taking every concern into possibility. I don't care about sex with her. I just want to know the laws that would apply to this case. If you are thinking for a second i am a pedophile then you are greatly mistaken. I love her. We went to high school together and when we started texting I fell. Hard. I don't want to lose her. So I'm trying to be practical while still keeping my heart on the line. I want to marry this girl and spend the rest of my life with her. She isn't just a kid. She's been through a lot. She's mature for her age. I came here looking for help but now I'm being accused of something that I can't help

Because this isn't about sex. I'm taking every concern into possibility. I don't care about sex with her. I just want to know the laws that would apply to this case. If you are thinking for a second i am a pedophile then you are greatly mistaken. I love her. We went to high school together and when we started texting I fell. Hard. I don't want to lose her. So I'm trying to be practical while still keeping my heart on the line. I want to marry this girl and spend the rest of my life with her. She isn't just a kid. She's been through a lot. She's mature for her age. I came here looking for help but now I'm being accused of something that I can't help

The words posted above speak LOUDLY, even though they weren't spoken, merely typed.

donottrust.png

The law does not care who hangs out with who at the mall, goes to a movie with, grabs lunch with, or whatever else kids do for fun these days. The minute sex enters the equation, whether it's physical, written, spoken, texted, or sent via smoke signal, all bets are off.

No little hearts at the end of emails. No longing discussions about how nice it will be when. STRICTLY non-sexual in EVERY sense and you're fine as long as Mom is fine. The minute Mom says no, however, or you even SUGGEST that there might be sex when she's 18, and you're in potential legal trouble if you continue.

what if it's just dating and they don't do anything sexual?
this isn't about sex.

Would've been nice if you mentioned these things in your original post.

The "age of consent" has no meaning outside the sexual context, so your reference to that concept makes no sense if "this isn't about sex."

Anyone may legally "date" anyone else, regardless of the ages of the persons involved.

I KNEW you were going to come back with this.

All I have to say is that the only way you could have gone to high school with her was that you were a senior and she was a freshman. How many of your senior-peers had any interest in freshmen?
Then you go on to say that "she's been through a lot"...which screams of your taking advantage of vulnerable person.

the only way you could have gone to high school with her was that you were a senior and she was a freshman.

Huh? How do you figure?

I was 13 when I started high school, which means I was 15 when I started my junior year, and I am hardly unique in that regard.

That said, the OP's defensive "I'm not a pedophile" diatribe was a bit odd and not the least bit relevant to any of this.

Huh? How do you figure?

I was 13 when I started high school, which means I was 15 when I started my junior year, and I am hardly unique in that regard.

That said, the OP's defensive "I'm not a pedophile" diatribe was a bit odd and not the least bit relevant to any of this.
Pretend you were the OP and you were a junior at 15. The girl you're ogling was 11/12 at the time. That means that when she entered her freshman year, you were a senior.

Pretend you were the OP and you were a junior at 15. The girl you're ogling was 11/12 at the time. That means that when she entered her freshman year, you were a senior.

Huh?

If an 18yo senior had been ogling me when I was 15, I'd have been a sophomore or a junior. My only point was to illustrate that your statement that "the only way [the OP] could have gone to high school with [the other person] was [if the OP was] a senior and [the other person] was a freshman." There are other ways as well. I was in the same elementary school class with a guy who was 20 months older than I was because he had gotten held back a year somewhere along the way.

In any event, the personal opinions about any "ick factor" in this relationship are utterly irrelevant to the one and only legal issue raised by the OP.

Huh?

If an 18yo senior had been ogling me when I was 15, I'd have been a sophomore or a junior. My only point was to illustrate that your statement that "the only way [the OP] could have gone to high school with [the other person] was [if the OP was] a senior and [the other person] was a freshman." There are other ways as well. I was in the same elementary school class with a guy who was 20 months older than I was because he had gotten held back a year somewhere along the way.

In any event, the personal opinions about any "ick factor" in this relationship are utterly irrelevant to the one and only legal issue raised by the OP.
Fair enough - my statement was assuming that there were no out-of-the-ordinary things going on, like a very young freshman.

Back