Age discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedworker

I am the oldest employee at my job, and had a meeting w/my manager today to discuss some issues that she felt I needed to correct. In this meeting she said "I shouldn't have to talk to you about this because you're older than me..." Would this be considered discrimination?

Short answer: No. Maybe you SHOULD know better.

Not on the basis of what you have posted, no. She's not treating you differently because of your age; she'd be correcting these issues regardless of your age. Granted, it wasn't as tactful as it might have been, but lack of tact does not give you legal recourse.

I am the oldest employee at my job, and had a meeting w/my manager today to discuss some issues that she felt I needed to correct. In this meeting she said "I shouldn't have to talk to you about this because you're older than me..." Would this be considered discrimination?

Based just on the information you posted above, no - it's not discrimination.

It turns out she doesn't think I'm working fast enough even tho the work is being done correctly & accurately (it is a dog/cat boarding facility, I am the only employee working my shift, she sets the hours, admits it is very busy, but expects the work to be done in only a couple hours - no employee there is able to complete the work-but she targeted me) and she is constantly texting me nasty texts. I have 10 years experience in the veterinary/kennel field ... & over 25 years in the executive corporate field and feel she was out of line with her comments in the meeting today.....

I dont' think I SHOULD know better (as boyzgrll stated) I'm not making mistakes (she even stated this) - in fact just the opposite. I'm picking up everyone elses mistakes, correcting them, as well as doing what others should have but haven't done. She is aware of all of this 100%!

She also said if improvements aren't seen I won't be coming in anymore, and she'd write me up. Also told me that I am not allowed to leave before everything is done even if it's later than the shift ends, she doesn't care if I have a dr appointment or not (I had a dr appt once that she knew about, it was well after my shift however) So basically I have to pick up the kids' jobs that they didn't finish and do my share of the work load that I am responsible for.

I feel the way she went about this was out of line. I never disrespect her, I do my job, am on time, don't call out, even helped her out when she needed extra people to cover shifts.

She has issues w/everyone there (I know this because she talks about everyone with everyone!)

My response to her today was that I am open to constructive criticism, and told her that a lot of what she was speaking to me about today I was never advised of how to do, or what the priority was. Her response was "she didn't remember and/or think to tell anyone. (I feel this is HER job as the manager!)

This is not my first rodeo - in my 25 some-odd years of working - I have never had my work ethic challenged like this. I do feel as if I was set up for failure in a way. I only work part-time, and am highly considering resigning (I've only been there since July 2014)

Anyways, I just needed to vent a bit, and was wondering if it was age discrimination, as I don't know about the law.

Last edited:
No, it is not age discrimination. By your own description, she is like this with everyone. You are not being singled out.

Discrimination is very difficult to recognize, as those who enage in it are slicker than they were in the past.
That said, the remark is nearing a place that could be troublesome for you.
I suggest you do your best, keep your eyes and ears open, your mouth closed observing and documenting, JUST IN CASE!
Trust me, I hear and see things every day.
Its the main reason I reduced my activities, yet I continue to receive calls seeking my counsel and advice.
I like it much better this way.
We all reach that time in our lives where we just know its time for us to retire.
My wife is one of those few that will likely never go voluntarily, those are the ones this cuts deeper.
Anyway, keep your eyes and ears open, and you decide if its worth it.
For me it was no longer worth it, and each day that passes convinces me I was right.
In the end, this is one of the most personal decisions one must make. Good luck...

Last edited:
Again; based just on what you posted, this is not age discrimination. It seems she has issues with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back