After an eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

cara

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hi All,

I was evicted out of my lease/purchase home back in August of this year (2008). I went to eviction court to let the judge know why I refused to pay July's rent after pleading with the landlord to fix our toilets (3) which were all leaking and the toilet in the master bath was clogged most of the time regardless of what I put in there (only toilet paper, I experimented on how many sheets it would take to clog it. It clogged with only one sheet and at the same time the guy from the water company told me there was a leak in the plumbing when he initially turned on the water for us). The judge only ordered me to pay July's rent for my troubles and no other fees.

Two weeks after the eviction I received a letter from a collection agency stating that I had to pay $15,000 to the property management company. Shocked by the amount I sent a letter back requesting an itemized list of the charges. I looked at the charges and listed are the normal cleaning charges ($250), the one month rent ordered by the judge ($1250), a re-letting fee of $1245 and then another reletting fee of $15,000. My question is, can he do that? I thought I was only obligated to pay the month rent ordered by the judge? Also, can he do that if I was listed as an occupant and the eviction case was against my husband?

Your judgement was for the one months rent in July. That is what you owe. Have you paid this yet?

Someone can contract with a collection agency for whatever amount they wish. Still; a reletting fee of $15,000 is ridiculous; property management knows this which is why they did not include this amount in the lawsuit.

Because they did not get more money in the judgement (or, perhaps if you have not yet paid the judgement amount..which it sounds like you havent, they've assumed you won't) they have now decided to make your life miserable through the collection agency.

Pay what you owe from the judgement and send a letter along with this informing them you have now met your legal obligation in this matter. Attach a copy of the judgement.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back