After 3 unsuccsesful evictions my ex-landlord tried to burn down our house

Status
Not open for further replies.

modlisa

My ex landlord set a fire to our home after he had no grounds to legally evict and lost 2 two consecutive tries, then collected the insurance money to remodel the substandard 60 yr old home with no updated appliances or much needed repairs. He managed to do everything legally wrong to get us out after the fire which was documented by several calls to the police by us which ended up pissing off our local police and after each call hearing his lies about us became more interested in us than him and I was even taken to jail 2 times because of his lies about us and almost 2 years later I am still being stopped and asked about my supposed drug addictions and use and I don't even drink! I have had a fear of cops now and won't ever go to them for help when he even lied about me trespassing on the property where I lived, each time different cops would come and so they all listened more to him and his lies more so than why they were called in the first place..I was handcuffed,arrested and in back of the squad car before I had a chance to tell this cop my side and what relly happened..Anytime I was alone in the house with no witnesses he would threaten my life....The Firemen who put out the fire which was contained in the kitchen area only because of the asbestos based fire retardent and luckily kept the old home from going up like kindleing..The firemen did not red-tag the house after the fire to my landlords dismay so he continued to do annoying things like stealing or just blatently disposing of my my personal property, giving us daily 24 notices to enter the home to do "repairs" having nothing to do with the fire or the horrendous smoke damage that occoured..by the fire, like removing our woodburning stove in the middle of winter.. our only heat source.. removing bathroom fixtures and toilet , removed front doors and locks which told by the cops we called to be done by the ebnd of the day which was never done and I had to buy new locks and replace them myself after 6 days.. He let PGE and water expire as our utilities were included in our rent, he used the court system and perjured documents he filed and a falsified rental contract to try to extort money from us even when we had documents like cancelled checks as proof. He disposed of all evidence of ground zero where the fire was started by illegally entering our home without our knowledge or permission and swept everything up and took it immediantly to the dump when he didn't even take his own piles and piles of garbage around the property.. He stole my car, a 94 Saab convertable, valued at 3-4K claiming he had it donated it and refused to tell me to whom but when I never recieved any lein notices I went to the DMV and was told my signature was on the bill of sale and I should report it as a stolen vehicle to thew police but my new found phobia of cops wouldn't let me do it...Everything is documented and provable by DMV records, He illegally disposed of my personal property and fire damaged items I needed for insurance purposes. I informed the Fire squad of my information and discrepancies in our stories but ey mentioned nothing of my suspisions in their report. I invited them back to see the damage in the daylight but they declined, the report did however mention the several times prior to our living as tenants that they had been called making me believe it was not his first try..

I want to sue him in civil court from personal injury to housing code violations documented by county workers and our pictures showing the damage he created instead of fixing, his defamation of charactor to our local police and after two years they still stop me and check for warrents and ask me when was the last time I used.. checking my arms and seaching my person even though I have never had a drug charge in my life and I am 53 years old..No local laywers specializing in this area are willing to take my case so I will file on my own at first..He needs to be reckoned with and I would love to take him on because I lost so much more than just a home, my son and I are still suffering by not being able to rent because the public documents regarding the eviction which he never won but doesn't matter, my loss of income, the small insurance settlement I recieved for my loss was not used to replace my damaged goods but for our temporary housing, my car, my self esteem and my pride and self confidence is still at an all time low.. Now I hear he is doing the same thing to new renters and never did the repairs needed and re-rented the house red-tagged and all as is to his next victims. We have collaberation from people who also lived on the property at the time and witnessed everything, Why won't any attorneys help me when it seems like such open and shut case with all the people documents and witnesses I have as my case?? Is it a dumb idea to not have an attorney with such a complicated and highly documented case?? 1 yr and 8 months have passed so if I do it it is my last few months to do this..

He stole my car, a 94 Saab convertable, valued at 3-4K
I should report it as a stolen vehicle to the police but my new found phobia of cops wouldn't let me do it...

Why won't any attorneys help me when it seems like such open and shut case

If you are unwilling to help yourself by filing a police report for your stolen vehicle, then why should you expect help from anyone else?

Your accusations appear to be without merit. The attorneys you approached either saw you had no case or very little to gain. Therefor they are unwilling to take the case on contingency. What may appear open and shut to you may not be legally won in the courtroom.

I'd advise against taking such an ambitious undertaking. If you are unwilling or cannot afford to pay an attorney upfront, then you may be best advised to drop it and move on with your life.

If you just can't drop it, then going alone will cost you additional money, time, and aggravation...

First of all, what have you done that the LL has tried twice to evict you?

LL had no obligations to replace appliances if they were not damaged due to the fire.

How come you called the police several times about him wanting to evict you? Can you really blame the police getting mad? It was no concern of theirs but you were making it their concern. Wrong place to complain.

Can't really make sense of the post. So I am assuming a lot. The LL probably did tell police lies. Who do you really think the police is going to listen to? Someone who calling and crying LL wants to evict or LL saying you have a drug problem? Naturally, the drug problem. And the way you sound each time you call what do you expect them to believe?

You will always be stopped because you highlighted yourself. And each time you are pulled over the notes are being read again.
The fear of cops is your own doing. If you feel you are right in things than present it to them, like stolen vehicle. Let them see a different side. Help yourself.

Police should have had a warrant out for you to arrest you like they did. If you not gulity, than sue the city. To come and just pick you up like that does not happen. More going on here.

You are trying to use the asbestos as a means to use against the LL. Since asbestos is highlighted on the tv. This won't work. If the house was built like that it can't be touched. If it is new, a different story.
LL is doing right by giving 24 hours notice to do repairs. It does not have to do with the fire damage, it can be for other reasons. Renters insurance, if have it, will take care of smoke damage to your belongings.

The other complaints, moving wood stove, bathroom fixtures, toilet, doors and door locks, is grounds for you to get out of lease. Take it and go. If you stayed a day without a toilet, that is your problem.

The fireman at the time would have notice if there was foul play. So no hiding "evidence" after the fact. Sorry. I think the main complaint here is the piles of garbage that is left behind.

Rest of post, I agree with Flariptide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back