Afraid to bring out of state title into DMV

Forseti

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I recently received an out of state title (NJ) from my lienholder after paying off a loan. The lienholder is not registered in Colorado. I am now afraid to bring the title into the DMV because I am afraid it might get lost if I am required to surrender it. What legal recourse do I have if the title is lost? Is this something a lawyer could help me with? The title is recorded in NJ, as far as I know it is not recorded in CO. Will CO have a record of my title after I turn it in? Is this something a lawyer could help me with?

What legal recourse do I have if the title is lost? Is this something a lawyer could help me with?

One can avoid LOSING most such documents by simply obtaining more than ONE copy of the document, just in case the document gets lost.

In the case of an automobile title, what makes you think the State of Colorado would "lose" the NJ title?

Is this something a lawyer could help me with?

You can find a lawyer to "help" you with most anything, IF you're willing to PAY said lawyer the tribute or fee demanded.

The title is recorded in NJ, as far as I know it is not recorded in CO. Will CO have a record of my title after I turn it in? Is this something a lawyer could help me with?

You keep asking the SAME question.

What is it about the title that leads you to believe it will be lost, or perhaps SEIZED by the state of Colorado?

This is how the state of Colorado processes out of state titles, read and learn:

After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 90 days to register your vehicle Effective January 1, 2010 all states are required to comply with Federal Law 28 CFR Part 25, National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: Research Vehicle History .

The purpose is to protect states, individuals, and commercial consumers from motor vehicle title fraud. In order to comply with this Federal requirement, the ability to print a title over the counter by the County Motor Vehicle Office (same day title) has been disabled for all title applications with an out-of-state title as the supporting document.

The Colorado Certificate of Title will be processed and mailed by the State Title Section.

If your vehicle was titled in another state, fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, completed by either:

> A Colorado law enforcement officer
> A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
> A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
> Please contact the State Title Section at 303-205-5608 for additional information.

Titling A Vehicle | Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicle

How to Transfer Your Car Title in Colorado

Thank you for your reply :) I have read through the Colorado dmv site quite regularly. I don't think they would seize it, but it may raise some eyebrows if I say I would rather not surrender it without another copy if they don't print it at the DMV office. (When I called they said they might still print it there)

As for why I am afraid it might be lost, mail gets stolen at our apartment, so my registered mailing address is a PO box. If they send it to my street address, it will be returned to sender, my GF put a note in our mailbox instructing the carrier to do so.

As to obtaining another NJ title copy, I doubt I could do that without assistance from a lawyer. This is NJ requirement for obtaining a copy is long and complex. www.state.nj.us/mvc/PDF/about/OS-SS-129.pdf

As to obtaining another NJ title copy, I doubt I could do that without assistance from a lawyer.

As i said, contact a lawyer, ask how much he or she charges to do whatever it is you wish to have done, pay the lawyer, you're good to go.

How much will a lawyer charge?

I wouldn't want to do it, so I'd say $5,000.

I suspect you MIGHT find a lawyer that would do what you desire for about $500 to $1,000.

There you go, now start calling lawyers near you.

Thank you for your reply :) I have read through the Colorado dmv site quite regularly.../QUOTE]

You have some issues and I suggest you seek counseling.

You're being totally ridiculous. Turn in your title along with your proof of loan payoff and you will receive a new Colorado title. End of story.

I wish there was a capability to edit older posts. I didn't realize I had messed up the quote in that last post. Apologies.

Back