Affair overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closely1206

My husband and I live in michigan and have 3 children of our own and guardianship of 2 other children. He was on tour in Afghanistan in 2010 and had an affair with a women who was from Texas. We recently got paperwork for him to summit a DNA test because she conceived during that time. What are our options as far as him signing his rights away in the state of Texas? We feel that that's the best thing to do at this point. The child has a life and we have never been apart of it and we life in Michigan, and she lives in Texas with her mother. What would be the best thing for us to do after the DNA test comes back if it's in fact positive?

My husband and I live in michigan and have 3 children of our own and guardianship of 2 other children. He was on tour in Afghanistan in 2010 and had an affair with a women who was from Texas. We recently got paperwork for him to summit a DNA test because she conceived during that time. What are our options as far as him signing his rights away in the state of Texas? We feel that that's the best thing to do at this point. The child has a life and we have never been apart of it and we life in Michigan, and she lives in Texas with her mother. What would be the best thing for us to do after the DNA test comes back if it's in fact positive?

Sorry, there is no US, insofar as the child in Texas is concerned.
If paternity testing reveals he is the father, it'll change his life financially.
Texas will take a very big whack of his finances and income.
It'll be money given to her for that kid, and money you won't have for your kids.
Furthermore, he won't be allowed to sign away his rights.
He won't be made to be active in the kids life, so other than supporting the child he sired, he won't be required to have any contact with the woman or the child.
They simply want his money, and if paternity testing proves he's the daddy, he must pay for 18 years.

YES, they woman is likely to get retroactive support going back 18 to 24 months!!!!

Even if he could sign away his rights, he wouldn't be able to sign away his financial obligations.

He's still obligated to support the child until the kid dies, he dies, or the kid turns 18 years of age.

Try a few numbers, the hit your family will take will astound you.

Texas child support calculator:

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/texas

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cs/calculator/

I hope the test proves he's not the father.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So he fooled around, created a child and now just wants to pretend that didn't happen? Doesn't work that way. If he is the father he is on the hook financially at the very least. How decent a parent he is to the child otherwise is a separate matter but just writing her off as a "mistake" and pretending she doesn't exist is not an option.

I would strongly suggest counseling to help you and your husband deal with this "new" reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back