Consumer Law, Warranties Advice on Breach of Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollaxt

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I need some advice. My mother used to own a nightclub but sold it to for $650,000. He, like my mother, is Korean and a friend of a friend of a family. I just found out yesterday that after making payments totaling $500,000, about a year ago, he told my mother he couldn't afford the payments he was making and my mother agreed to reduce his payment to $5000/month with interest. My mother has a notarized letter with him entering into this, I guess, contract.

He has not made any payments since then. My mother has tried contacting him and even went to the club to see him, only to be effectively thrown out. My mother threatened to sue and he yelled back, threatening to sue her! For what? I don't know. When I found about this, I was appalled, not by the money itself, but by the man's shear audacity.

So, my mother informed me yesterday that she wanted to begin the process of suing him. That's why I'm here asking for any help. What kind of lawyer should I be looking at? My mother does not speak English very well, so should I find a Korean lawyer that can converse with her directly without me having to translate? What is the proper course action for something like this?

Thank you for any help you're willing to give.

- John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back