Adverses possession on part of property

Moshe

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My neighbor would like to settle out an adverse possession claim i have for using a strip of his land for storage shed and parking. His land lay vacant while I only used a small portion of it.

Since the are in use is Not attached to my property and does not meet current subdivision requirements. How does this play out?
Do I have claim on entire property?
Or I only have claim and I can force a sundivision?

My neighbor would like to settle out an adverse possession claim i have for using a strip of his land for storage shed and parking. His land lay vacant while I only used a small portion of it.

Since the are in use is Not attached to my property and does not meet current subdivision requirements. How does this play out?
How long have you been using the land?

What do you mean by "claim I have"? Have you filed in court or are you just trying to bully him to get the property?

You might not have any claim at all if he knew you were there and allowed it.

Adverse possession only applies to the property or part of it that you actually possessed and used as if it were your own. Note that if the piece is not large enough to meet the HOA or zoning requirements that fact won't allow you to grab more land. You'd need to find some other solution to the HOA or zoning problem.

Back