Adverse Possession in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashpanache

My brother and I equally share land and home in Florida, willed to us 4 years ago.Neither of us live there; it has been vacant since my mother died. In the course of these past years, I alone have paid all the property taxes, maintained property, paid utilities, etc. He has ignored my requests for half of the expenses. Almost 2 years ago I contacted a lawyer regarding this matter. Currently, Martin County has approached me about purchasing this property at the appraisal value. I want to sell it, but need my brother's signature as well. We are both on the deed. I deserve my half of the proceeds plus what he owes me in back taxes, etc. He continues to ignore me. Martin County has given me a deadline to sign our papers. Our lawyer is still on the job, but it doesn't seem like he's as anxious as myself to get rid of this burden. Do I have any legal claims to all of the property since my brother has completely ignored all of his responsibilites regarding this? Does "adverse possession" apply to this senario? Thanks for your help!

Q: Does "adverse possession" apply to this senario?

A: Actually, there is a case or two where adverse possession between co-tenants was successful for the plaintiff.

However, what you really need is a partition suit (assuming you and the sib can't work it out).

It will be $30K (if cheap) and 3 years (if fast).

You say "our lawyer". I suggest YOU fire this lawyer and YOU hire your own lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back