Permanent Residency Adusting Permanent Residency 8 weeks after card expired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenT23

Originally I came to the US on a J1 visa - within 18 months I was pregnant and married my husband in 2007. I obtained my redisdency card 7/21/08 - they placed a no working restriction on me (I have not worked) I raise my 2 kids (both born in the US 2007 & 09 ).

My residency card expired on the 21 July 2010 and due to a lack of finances (we only have one income paying all the bills and the mortgage) we have been unable to pay the filing fee for the application for the green card, let alone afford legal advice. However, I am hoping to get the money and file the form within the next week..

1) Do I need to seek legal advice or would I be able to file the relevant form without thier help?
2) Is there a chance I can get deported - My sons are both US citizens and I could net imagine being separated from them, it really worries me...
3) is the form I need to complete the I-485

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Originally I came to the US on a J1 visa - within 18 months I was pregnant and married my husband in 2007. I obtained my redisdency card 7/21/08 - they placed a no working restriction on me (I have not worked) I raise my 2 kids (both born in the US 2007 & 09 ).

My residency card expired on the 21 July 2010 and due to a lack of finances (we only have one income paying all the bills and the mortgage) we have been unable to pay the filing fee for the application for the green card, let alone afford legal advice. However, I am hoping to get the money and file the form within the next week..

1) Do I need to seek legal advice or would I be able to file the relevant form without thier help?
2) Is there a chance I can get deported - My sons are both US citizens and I could net imagine being separated from them, it really worries me...
3) is the form I need to complete the I-485

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

You should contact an attorney ASAP.

Yeah, yeah, too expensive.

Then you need to meet personally with immigration authorities and work out a suitable arrangement.

You can't ignore this, or you will be deported.

Please, tomorrow hire an attorney.

Or, call or visit an immigration office and ask them how you can remediate this problem!

Thank you for you reply. I really do appreciate it.

I am going to go to the nearest Immigration Office today and see what I can do.

You should contact an attorney ASAP.

Yeah, yeah, too expensive.

Then you need to meet personally with immigration authorities and work out a suitable arrangement.

You can't ignore this, or you will be deported.

Please, tomorrow hire an attorney.

Or, call or visit an immigration office and ask them how you can remediate this problem!

So I have used the infopass to get an appointment with the local Immigration office, I am in tomorrow morning at 9am - this may sound like a stupid question but I really have no idea about this, is there any way they can detain me? (I have no criminal convictions, etc)

I have to go alone and leave my children with a baby sitter while I do.

I appreciate you taking time to read this/help me

Best wishes

Karen

So I have used the infopass to get an appointment with the local Immigration office, I am in tomorrow morning at 9am - this may sound like a stupid question but I really have no idea about this, is there any way they can detain me? (I have no criminal convictions, etc)

I have to go alone and leave my children with a baby sitter while I do.

I appreciate you taking time to read this/help me

Best wishes

Karen

They could, but they won't.
You're not a terrorist, rapist, child molester, drug dealer, or bad person.
They have no reason to detain you.
In fact, you'll be surprised at how ell they treat you, because you're doing what's right.
Make sure you take all the proof and documentation you can carry.
They'll explain how you can fix this.
Good luck, and let is know what your next steps will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back