Adoption

mskathyj

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was raising my now almost 6 yr old autistic grandson the doctor changed his medicine and he started gettting violent...he was biting us and scratching us so I had no choice to call defacs for help and letting them know that we were not letting him go....he was on 5 medicines and he was only 4 yrs old..the juvinile court judged asked me..if he gets stablelize could he come back home and I said yes Sir...well he has been in several foster home and always had visitation where he was at and spend weeks and weekends...we has papers where it was stated reunification on all them...everything on the up and up...making us believe he was coming back in the home...a few weeks ago my case worker came to see me and asked were we ready for Ayden come back ..we said yes...and just like that they pulled the rug from under us...they want to put him up for adoption...the little boy is stabllize now...how can those ppl do that...we have been on this journy with this little boy from the get go...PLZ HELP ME..I am so lost on this.

Attachments

• 11898832_488023981365078_235734668498194713_nj.jpg
    11898832_488023981365078_235734668498194713_nj.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
I forgot a few things..Both of his parents ar in prison..Defacs informed me they are terminating their parental rights ...the mother is getting really soon...I did not have custody of the boy..I had only guardianship..I tried to appeall it...but have no standing..Is it too late to get a lawyer???

You need to contact a lawyer - this is not something you can do alone or get information off the Internet. If the parents' rights are being involuntarily terminated then there isn't anything really you can do as you will be a legal stranger once that happens.

I would get a lawyer and see if you could adopt him.

I was raising my now almost 6 yr old autistic grandson the doctor changed his medicine and he started gettting violent...he was biting us and scratching us so I had no choice to call defacs for help and letting them know that we were not letting him go....he was on 5 medicines and he was only 4 yrs old..the juvinile court judged asked me..if he gets stablelize could he come back home and I said yes Sir...well he has been in several foster home and always had visitation where he was at and spend weeks and weekends...we has papers where it was stated reunification on all them...everything on the up and up...making us believe he was coming back in the home...a few weeks ago my case worker came to see me and asked were we ready for Ayden come back ..we said yes...and just like that they pulled the rug from under us...they want to put him up for adoption...the little boy is stabllize now...how can those ppl do that...we have been on this journy with this little boy from the get go...PLZ HELP ME..I am so lost on this.

You have several things going for you.
You are his grandparent.
You have cared for him as a parent for most of his young life.
You are even maintaining contact by visiting him as you and he go through this tough time.
Talk to a couple local lawyers.
I THINK, again I THINK, as in I do not know but the GA lawyers will; that the state will appoint a lawyer to represent you and the boy.

You might also visit your local legal aid office.

Keep looking, someone will help you.

You have several things going for you.
You are his grandparent.
You have cared for him as a parent for most of his young life.
You are even maintaining contact by visiting him as you and he go through this tough time.
Talk to a couple local lawyers.
I THINK, again I THINK, as in I do not know but the GA lawyers will; that the state will appoint a lawyer to represent you and the boy.

You might also visit your local legal aid office.

Keep looking, someone will help you.
We already went to juvinile court Friday...thats when defacs lawyer told that I cound't appeal it...But I'm gonna see a lawyer and see if something can be done before it's too...I have a funny feeling that I maybe too late...he has'nt been adopted out yet...me and that little boy have a very strong bond...they say that he's doing good and he's stableize now...he;s supposed to come back in the home and they just pulled the rug out from us....All this time they were planning for him to come back once he got stablized

It is unclear why you would surrender him to DEFACS rather than call his doctor to have the new medication adjusted.You voluntarily gave him up which does not send the court or DEFACS the message that you are interested in actually parenting this child. What happens the next time his meds need to be adjusted, or he acts out for other reasons? How long was he with you and how long was he in foster care?

Back