Administrative leave non paid

Jerad

Jurisdiction
Washington
I work for a company called Durham school services. The company is a school bus company. We are contracted be Spokane public school District 81. My job is a bus attendant/Monitor I have been out of work and put on admin leave. This is now the second week. They said they can't pay me cause I'm on administrative leave because district pulled me off route so they can't put me on route which me I can't be paid for not working but they told me once this is said and done they will pay me but not until then. They won't tell me why I'm being put on administrative leave is there a law stating that they have to tell me why I'm being put on administrative leave all they could tell me is an allegation was made it there by a parent or student and that they've been searching through weeks worth of videos is there a lost and that they have to pay me for this being put on administrative leave since this is now two weeks

No, they do not have to tell you why you were put on administrative leave or even pay you unless you have a binding contract that they must & when they must.

I work for a company called Durham school services. The company is a school bus company. We are contracted be Spokane public school District 81. My job is a bus attendant/Monitor I have been out of work and put on admin leave. This is now the second week. They said they can't pay me cause I'm on administrative leave because district pulled me off route so they can't put me on route which me I can't be paid for not working but they told me once this is said and done they will pay me but not until then. They won't tell me why I'm being put on administrative leave is there a law stating that they have to tell me why I'm being put on administrative leave all they could tell me is an allegation was made it there by a parent or student and that they've been searching through weeks worth of videos is there a lost and that they have to pay me for this being put on administrative leave since this is now two weeks

I suggest you put your thinking cap on and try to recall any odd incident that occurred over the last three months, or even since the school year began last fall.

Once you can remember what MIGHT have happened, you'll know what you should do next, and what you can expect.

Ask your partner/driver/monitor if they remember anything odd.
Was there shouting?
Did someone use foul language?
Did a child or parent ever accuse you of doing anything inappropriate, or maybe illegal?

If this is all a big mistake, then you have nothing to worry about.
If SOMETHING occurred, the videotape will set you free, or something far worse.

Think, think, think.

If its really, really bad; you might want to simply resign.
Otherwise, if its nothing, relax, you'll get good news and all will be well.

If you have been accused on wrongdoing against a child, only an idiot would allow you to continue to work around children. Unpaid leave is pretty standard. You are not working so they are not paying you. If you are absolved of wrongdoing, it sounds like they will pay you for the time you were off work. These kinds of investigations take time. Two weeks is the very least I would expect.

I have been out of work and put on admin leave. This is now the second week.

As far as I'm concerned, an unpaid leave is a layoff. File for unemployment NOW. Make sure you call it a layoff when you file. You should have done it the first day. You've already lost a week of benefits and there's a week's waiting period coming your way.

Once you file, you'll find out pretty quick why you were laid off because your employer will tell the UI people the reason if the employer wants to challenge your claim and the UI people will relay that to you under your appeal rights.

Never trust an employer who puts you on administrative leave without telling you why. I don't buy the "wait and see" business.

As far as I'm concerned, an unpaid leave is a layoff. File for unemployment NOW. Make sure you call it a layoff when you file. You should have done it the first day. You've already lost a week of benefits and there's a week's waiting period coming your way.

Once you file, you'll find out pretty quick why you were laid off because your employer will tell the UI people the reason if the employer wants to challenge your claim and the UI people will relay that to you under your appeal rights.

Never trust an employer who puts you on administrative leave without telling you why. I don't buy the "wait and see" business.

AJ, that's god advice, generally.
The other side of immediately applying for UI Compensation is that the BULLY never likes being poked in the eye.
Some BULLIES will only expedite things, by terminating the employee, which isn't all that bad.
The troubling part comes for people on paid leave is if a crime is determined to have been committed.
In the case of many governmental employees, paid (or unpaid) admin leave can be the precursor to the filing of criminal charges.
Some of the clients I've represented we were able to negotiate a resignation, avoiding criminal charges for the person.

I'm simply suggesting there is often a very good reason to wait quietly in the corner while the investigation ensues and the decision is issued.

The best advice, and I'm sure you'll agree, is to BEHAVE yourself at ALL times, never breaking their rules or laws!!!!

Filing for UI won't give the OP the details of the investigation, nor the reason. The employer only need indicate that the employee is still employed, and is on unpaid leave. While anything is possible, most states will not pay benefits while someone is on leave pending investigation or otherwise not unemployed through no fault of their own and actively seeking other employment.

Filing for UI won't give the OP the details of the investigation, nor the reason. The employer only need indicate that the employee is still employed, and is on unpaid leave. While anything is possible, most states will not pay benefits while someone is on leave pending investigation or otherwise not unemployed through no fault of their own and actively seeking other employment.

Therein lies another obstacle, and you've thoroughly explained why!

I also don't anything remotely bully like about the employer. By LAW they must investigate allegations of misconduct relating to a child. As aides are not generally assigned to most buses, this would imply the allegation involves either a severely disabled, or very young child. Both scenarios complicate any investigation. Paying child molesters not to work is counter intuitive. If the person is absolved of wrong doing, they are paid for the time they were off. Telling someone who acted inappropriately with a vulnerable child not only what the exact allegation was, but who made it and what the investigation turns up is an extremely bad idea and the reason should be obvious. Chances are very good law enforcement is or will be involved. Jeopardizing a criminal case or the integrity of the investigation because the perpetrator doesn't think it fair to be kept in the dark is absurd.

When our children were growing up towards adulthood, at times we'd hear the usual complaint, "When I grow up, I won't have to obey your rules!"

I'd simply smile and respond, "You're right. When you become an adult, you'll obey THEIR rules!"

Of course, I never defined who THEY were.
One by one, as the once little ones became big ones, they'd return and say something along these lines, "Okay, I get it. THEY are society. THEY make rules and laws we all are expected to obey. They are also our employers, lenders, landlords, almost anyone. You're right again, THEIR rules are more demanding than yours, and THEIR punishments are far more severe."

I agree again, Elle, paid or unpaid time off isn't determined in a vacuum. Something is alleged to have happened that rises to a level sufficient that it must be investigated.

That something could have been avoided by following their rules.

Occasionally such allegations are proven to be false, or retaliatory.
In those cases, all is forgiven.
And as I always say, no one is a slave.
All employees or contractors are free to part company at any time.

My work made me resign and they are not gonna pay for the time I had off what do I do

Hey mate, guess you were told what they had on you, huh?
Let us know what they allegedly discovered what you did, and who you did it to, mate.
Thanks.

Allegedly discovered me talking to a student on the bus when a parent ask me not to. I told them there were several instances to where he ask me a question what am I supposed to do ignore him because that would be rude. The said Being on my phone. I told them I was only on my phone during mine and my driver break cause we get 10-15mins break between high school and elementary school pick up. This one i argue with them over this eating on the bus. Lot of drivers and aids u just need to know when to look on the camera. I ask them if they where goona pay me for the time I had off they said no cause we are having you resign peacefully. And if employer call them wondering why he resign they will tell them I resign do to personal reason

Back