Administering Meds without consent at school

P

PissedParent

I consented to my son being tested for ADHD at school after it being recommended by his principal. My consent was given verbally and no paperwork was furnished. He was tested today and informed me the doctor gave him a pill to take and told him he would take one daily to focus in class. Let me reinterate, I gave consent to testing not administering medication. Is that apart of protocol?

What did the school's administration say when you called and asked them what happened? Because I'm willing to bet it did not happen like Junior said it did; otherwise, there'd be a lot of parents suing school districts about this.

Generally parent's consent is required before being given medication at school. You might want to furnish more/complete details. Did you call someone at the school & discuss?

There is a whole lot that does not make sense here. For one, those who test are rarely the same doctor as one who prescribes the meds. Second, any medical treatment comes with a price tag and you would be responsible. There are also multiple medications which may be used for this and the school is not a pharmacy. Third, meds are not always the best treatment and if diagnosed ADHD, there is an extensive protocol that is followed. Fourth, it would be beyond rare that he would be tested as you describe. ADHD is not like getting tested for strep. There is no one test that can tell you if someone has it or not. It is a process and involves the family, interviews, health history, etc.

Back