Addendum to Contract

N

neonjim

Jurisdiction
Washington
I signed a 12 month lease starting Sept. 1 to rent a room in a house. An addendum to the NON-REFUNDABLE REDECORATING FEE of $300.00 said the money was to be paid in $50.00 increments each Friday until paid. I had to paint the room so the landlord agreed to knock off $100, which wasn't noted on the lease. I skipped one week due to car repairs, the landlord agreed to this and I paid $50.00 the following Friday and received a receipt for the $50.00 payment. Now the landlord is trying to kick me out saying that I broke the lease by not paying weekly. My argument is that he verbally agreed to the payments and accepted the money and gave receipts. Did I break the lease or am I right that by accepting the money he agreed to the changes?

There were no changes. You are still a week behind and in default.

Here's how it works.

Let's say that your weekly payment of $50 is due every Monday. For October the payment schedule is as follows:

On the 3d you pay $50. You're current.
On the 10th you pay $50. You're current.
On the 17th you skip the payment.
On the 24th you pay $50. That $50 covers the week of the 17th so you are in breach of the agreement if you didn't pay an additional $50 to cover the week of the 24th.

Your argument might be that the landlord just extended the payoff period by another week.

His argument might be that you made up the payment of the 17th and are in default for the 24th.

Without anything in writing it's anybody's guess how a court would look at it.

By the way, what do you mean by "trying" to kick you out? There is no try, there is only do or not do.

Did he give you a written termination (3 day pay or quit) notice as required by the WA landlord tenant statute?

The $200.00 fee is paid in full with receipts, the last one with "Final payment of deposit" on it. I haven't been late on rent. Is this sufficient grounds for eviction? I think it's more a matter that the owner of the house now wants to move back in due to upcoming divorce and they may start the eviction process.

The $200.00 fee is paid in full with receipts, the last one with "Final payment of deposit" on it.

Should have mentioned that earlier.

I haven't been late on rent. Is this sufficient grounds for eviction?

No.

the owner of the house now wants to move back in

Well, that's too bad for him. You have a 12 month lease.

So, my question again, is have you been given written notice of termination or is he just talking?

I suggest you study up on the landlord tenant statute and learn your rights and his obligations:

Chapter 59.18 RCW: RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD-TENANT ACT

There are additional guides and resources at the following site:

Residential Landlord-Tenant Resources | Washington State

Thank you, adjusterjack, I appreciate the quick responses. I haven't been given any written termination notice, he's blowing smoke at the moment. But if I had known how this guy was before, I would never have moved in. Not worried about my physical safety but he seems mentally unstable. I'll do some reading on the links you've provided, thanks again.

Thank you, adjusterjack, I appreciate the quick responses. I haven't been given any written termination notice, he's blowing smoke at the moment. But if I had known how this guy was before, I would never have moved in. Not worried about my physical safety but he seems mentally unstable. I'll do some reading on the links you've provided, thanks again.

Very often the thing you think is worst, upon reflection turns out to be best.
If the LL has mental health issues, or is just a jackass, this coud be the vehicle you leverage to make an exit.

Think about how you want to live, with drama, or with serenity.

If you seek serenity, negotiate a mutually acceptable exit.

Otherwise, prepare for regular feces storms, rants, threats, disrespect, and abuse; where you're paying to be mistreated!!!

"SERENITY NOW!" Thanks, army judge, for the words of encouragement. I think a couple of months of staying in my room and saving up for a move is in my future.

"SERENITY NOW!" Thanks, army judge, for the words of encouragement. I think a couple of months of staying in my room and saving up for a move is in my future.

I do lots of happy, peaceful, calm, serene, alone time with my three best pals, me, myself, and I. LOL

Enjoy mate, you're your own best friend.
No reason not to trust yourself 100%. LMFAO

Back