Acts of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

sas6240

If very large limbs from a neighbors tree fall into my yard, am I responsible for cleaning them up? And if so, do I have a legal right to trim back the limbs that are on my side of the property line? If a limb would cause any property damage on my side, who's homeowners insurance would be responsible?

Yes you can trim the limbs on your side of the fence/property. However it always makes sense to talk with your neighbor first. Ask them if they woud prefer to do it since it's their tree. If they refuse than let them know you will be trimming the limbs back (within reason) that are hazardous or creating a nuisance. And yes, you are responsible for cleaning them up if they are in your yard. If a limb causes property damage it is YOUR homeowner's insurance that covers it. That is one of the reasons you have a right to trim hazardous limbs away from your house. It kind of stinks but that's the way it works. However...if you can prove that a particular tree represents a legal "hazard" to life or property than report the tree to your community government and they may site your neighbors and make them correct the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back