Accused of Embezzelment!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodagpop

I worked at a Cell phone store there we sold : sprint, verizon, nextel, and the occasional precash (aka. prepaid visa) cards. i work inbetween 3 of our stores. Sat. 10/4/08 i worked at a store about 30min from me. the hours were from 10-5pm. My boyfriend (at the time) came along- My boss has mentioned to me before that he isnt allowed at the store ( i guess he felt it was a threat/ distraction) Understandably so- My boyfriend and i arrived with the same car at the store sat morning, had breakfest together (mcdonalds) anyway- he inquired about purchasing a perpaid card. i sold it to him ( and yes i charged him and rung it up in the register) He wasnt staying (because he wasnt allowed) so he went to run some errands. it began to rain so he came back bringing lunch- around 230/3:00pm. as we ate (in the store) a customer came in to pay a bill, so of course in front of my bf i helped the customer. ( Now the same system we use to pay customer bills in the same system we use to refill prepaid visa cards) later almost at the time of close a customer came in and i helped them with thier phone concerns.. (away from the computer). 5:00pm i closed the store and we left. that entire night we hung out (in a group) he was acting weird, asking me random questions about the card, i thought nothing of it. Sunday afternoon i broke up with him. ( Mind you i did not have the Keys to the store that entire weekend, my boss took them from me to make copies for other employees) i went back to work Tuesday to be confronted by my boss that there was a break in and someone stole $1200.00 by prepaid visa. i was shocked! he told me that there was a balance on his card of $300.00 on saturday!! I NEVER put ANY money on my bf's card OR authorized him to do so OR gave him any Access /passwords/ NOTHING!! My boss continues stating that they added another $400.00 on the card SUNDAY night- and i have Witnesses of my were-abouts (roughly 10 ppl) that i was NO where near the store. Then there was another amount of $500.00 on MONDAY night ( i was in school, my teachers will vouch) SO CONFUSED!! i confronted my ex- he denied EVERYTHING! There was NO proof of forced entry in the building- nor anything stolen. My boss called the Precash Company and claimed fraud: they told him all the trasnactions that were shown as well as the phone calls he made to them inquiring about how much he (my ex) can put on the card and take off. I told my boss to see if he can find and IP address and see if it links back to him, so far he hasnt given me any info. Now HONESTLY IT WAS NOT ME! I DID NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO ANYONE! my boss called him Wensday and asked exactly this :"what happened?" My ex Knew exactly what he was talking about and immidetly blamed it on me! claiming he didnt know the system or how to work it. (now if someone was innocent, wouldnt they first say, what are you talking about??) How did he get the password to the system?? ( well the manager to that store writes them on a calander that lays flat on our desk it would say PRECASH= LOG IN NAME then PASSWORD=*******) Now my boss threatned me, knowing it wasnt me he said he didnt care between the both of us we have to come up with the money. I told him i refuse- he can take me to court because i am innocent and i am not paying. I think he is in the process of pressing charges but he told me over the phone that i would be facing 2-5 yrs. of prision. I NEVER STOLE!! (Another thing! i never spoke to my ex after sunday afternoon- until tuesday when my boss confronted him) What do i do??!! im scared and lost. It all points back to me because i never listend to my boss not to allow him in the store. but the card is in HIS (my ex) NAME and HE CALLED and the transactions are in HIS city. ( i live 45min. away from him).. please please help me.. will i get in trouble for something i didnt do???

another thing there was no camera in the store to show proof of my ex bing there ...
im so stressed out. please give me some advice.
thank you.

Your boss has grounds to file criminal charges against you so I would wise up and hire an attorney to put a defense for you.

That is what you say. How are you going to explain to the judge that your boyfriend out of nowhere, had access to the visa prepaid card code? You are swearing that you didn't give it to him, but I didn't see anywhere in your posting you telling him to stay away of certain areas of the store or not come to the store at all, knowing that your boss had specifically instructed you to do that. Worse, how in the world did money appear and continued to appear in your boyfriend's card? Lots of unanswered questions here so my suggestion is for you to find an attorney so s/he can put a good defense for you and, if you can prove your boyfriend did everything on his own, help nail your boyfriend for the illegal acts he alledgedly committed.

Last edited:
i understand where your coming from. and i agree. and i will try to get one...
but another question. what about the nights the money were stolen i wasnt even close to the store and i have about 10 witnesses of my were-abouts. BOTH nights! what im hoping dessperatly is that my boss can track the IP address cause then for sure i can nail him. and your right i didnt tell him not to stay away from certain areas because it didnt even cross my mind that somehting like this would happen!! and the money was stolen the day we broke up. i know this is hard to believe, but im good people and theres got to be a way to get him, there just has to be. and i cant afford an attorney.. would a court appointed one work just as well>??

See if you can get a pro-bono attorney. Check at your local courthouse if they can refer you one or your local bar association.

what would be some steps in proving im innocent?!

* do lie detectors stand in court?

* does me not inquring about the card account for something? that its under his name? and was used at his location?> and that i have ppl to prove where i was at?

* does me being loyal to this company for over 8months account to something?? that i was excelling, and never stole or betrayed ever?

* can my background have a say so? never been to court or committed a crime?

im sorry i dont know very much- thats why im asking so many things...

if the lie detecor works in court- ill be free.

thank you again for all your help. ill look into a pro-bono attorney.
im not even sure that my boss filed anything yet. i have not recived anything.
but wouldnt my boss have to go threw great investigation to try to blame me??
he has not physical evidence, and he admitted to knowing that my ex would do somehting like this, he just doesnt care who did it- he wants his money...

All your questions will have to be answered by your lawyer. Now, don't jump the gun yet. You are innocent until proven guilty and you are sounding guilty already!!! You don't know if your boss is going to press charges and all I am saying is for you to be prepared.

Last edited:
thanks for all your help.. amazingly me ex admited to stealing -and they found evidence of the IP address linking to his location. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back