Accused of Being Too Strict and not Flexible

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitt1017

Hello

I am employed by a local unit of government as the City Engineer in the State of Michigan. I have a very talented group of P.E.'s and engineers under by managment. Recently I have been accused by two City Commissioners of being to strict and not flexible with contractors and developers. As a department we enforce the specifications, ordinances, State Laws, and the City's Master plan. I believe what has happened is that a few contractors and developers that the City Commissioners are friends with did not get exactly their way on something related to construction or development. I am employed by the City and represent the publics safety and interests. I can not comprise those values. Anyhow these commissioners think I should terminated for this. The City manager completely stands behind me and just gave me a excellent review. I am having a meeting to discuss these issues on Monday. What should I do! This is really affecting me and my family. Help! Keith

This might of been the wrong choice of word. I just need to know some words of wisdom of what my legal options are.

thanks

Good Morning,

The commissioners are in contact with certain contractors and developers who are their friends. I enforce rules, and laws, regualtions like for example. A section of curb was put in the wrong elevation which did not give the correct flow in the street. Another a sidewalk was put in sloping in the oposite direction. Other cases would be meeting ADA requirements such that sidewalk cross slopes must be at 2% or less. One more example is new water services should not be connected until the new water main has been tested and the main is under operating pressure. This is called a wet tap. I could go on and on but this is what is mostly talked about.

I really appreciate your replies and advice.

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back