Professional Malpractice Accounting Malpractice

Status
Not open for further replies.

audited

I have a question about the statute of limitations for filing a claim against my accountant for filing my taxes incorrectly and for causing me to fail an audit to to poor representation in the audit.
The tax years in question are 2008 and 2009, both of which were submitted to the IRS on or near the filing deadline of April 15, 2009 and 2010, respectively.

My accountant made gross errors in my taxes for both years and did not follow accounting law. He also misrepresented my profession. As a result of both issues, he caused me to show huge losses on my taxes, which triggered an audit for both years. The audit occurred in September, 2010 and the ruling on the audit arrived in January, 2011. It was upon receiving the ruling and hiring a new accounting firm that I realized the gross negligence that had occurred in both the preparation of my taxes and in the audit, itself.

I failed the audit miserably and failed the appeal. The appeal decision was granted in August, 2014. I am wondering if there is still time to file a claim for malpractice based on the dates above.
Thank you very much.

I need to make a correction to the above post about my question. The appeal decision was granted in August of 2013, not 2014. Thank you..

I suggest if you're considering filing a professional malpractice suit you speak with a couple attorneys in your county.
You might also investigate the state agency that regulates CPAS in ME.

Logic tells me that you're within the SOL, because the last action was last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back