accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt101269

My husband was in a accident without unfortunately insurance. Ours ran out without knowing it since we had moved. Now the state is saying that he will loose his license if we don't come up with the full amount. The accident was in a state that we are not living in. Can they suspend an out of state license. Would they have to go to the state the license is in to suspend it or are they able to suspend it even though we don't live there.My husband is the only driver in the family and can't lose his license.
Please help,

I don't know what states are in issue here so I can't tell you the laws. In general, one state cannot enforce something in another state although there are times and procedures which may allow enforcement of law in another state. This area is fact specific and I'm not sure which state is doing what. Additionally, there are issues of laws regarding jurisdiction over individuals driving in other states. Driving without insurance is an offense in New York and probably in every state.

But this case is different too -- you were driving a vehicle that was registered in your state with a license issued in your state without insurance. That is not the same situation as described above because enforcement issues don't necessarily apply in the same fashion. You'd probably want to keep your insurance current by paying and having it apply retroactively rather than play around here... at least that is what I would think. Why wouldn't you want to come up with the full amount?

We were in Missouri when the accident happened and we live in Arkansas and he now has insurance but didn't at the time do to extream financial problems.
I just want to know if Missouri can suspend an Arkansas license?
We recieved a paper in the mail from Missouri to our Arkansas address saying that his license was due to be suspended in November.
Can they do that?

I don't know exactly what the laws are regarding that matter and it seems that it is best answered by calling your local Department of Motor Vehicles. They will be able to answer the question with a great deal of expertise in that particular area. You might find this number on the web or in your local telephone directory. If they had his Arkansas license number on the paperwork then perhaps there may be a reciprocal agreement and this is not something you should be blowing off! Let us know what you find out.

Missouri Mandatory Insurance Suspension -- Accident

Missouri can suspend your privilege to drive in Missouri.

With respect to an accident where an uninsured the driver is at fault and hasn't yet paid for the personal injuries and/or property damage caused therein, Missouri will suspend the uninsured driver's driving privileges and, if the driver does not have a Missouri license, the Missouri Dept. of Revenue will report the license suspension to the state in which the driver is licensed.

To be reinstated in Missouri, the driver must send the following items to the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau before you can be reinstated:

1. Proof that you have paid or settled the accident with the other person(s). You will need to submit an installment agreement showing that you are making payments for the accident or, you can submit a notarized release of liability if paid in full. You may also submit a deposit of security. If you do not submit this proof, you must serve a one-year driver license suspension before you can be reinstated.

and

2. $20 reinstatement fee. Money order or personal check is acceptable (including your full name, address, date of birth, and driver license or social security number).

Also, Missouri will suspend driving privileges based on our mandatory insurance law for "Failure to Show Proof of Insurance When Sampled by Department of Revenue" - If you have been suspended because the Department of Revenue notified you to show proof of your insurance and you did not have any insurance in effect, you must serve a 90-day driver license suspension if it is your second offense or a one-year driver license suspension if it is your third or subsequent offense, and send the following items to the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau before you can be reinstated:

1. Proof of liability insurance (copy of your insurance identification card). NOTE: If an accident was involved, you must submit an SR-22 insurance filing as the insurance identification card will not be accepted. Proof of insurance must be kept for three years from the date you became eligible to be reinstated.

and

2. $20 reinstatement fee if it is your first offense, $200 if it is your second offense, and $400 if it is your third or subsequent offense. Money order or personal check is acceptable. Please include your full name, address, date of birth, and driver license number.

Missouri will report the suspension to AK. You should call the AK DMV and ask what effect the Missouri suspension will have on you AK license.

The Missouri Dept. of Revenue web site has a lot of information on insurance suspensions and license reinstatement. My site does as well.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back