Accident, Who is responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quuen

Im trying to research a case for school. The situation goes like this: I am the plantiff, I was stopped at a red light facing northbound in the middle lane of a 6 lane divided road. I was flirting with Defendant #2, who was in the left turning lane, and thoroughly distracted him. When the light turned green we did not notice, and the cars behind started honking. We proceeded to go and I was driving straight ahead. Defendant #2 proceeded to make his left. However Defendant #1 who was driving southbound, almost collided with defendant #2, and swerved and hit the fender and trunk of my car. I am suing both defendants, and defendant #1 is suing defendant #2. Defendant #2 is suing defendant #1 and counter suing me saying I distracted him and caused all of this. I have tried to research the New York State traffic laws to see if it is against the law to flirt with someone else while driving, basically to see if I would be negligent. I dont know what else to look for, as I have to present this case in front of my peers. Anyone have any suggestions. Please help!!! If anyone can help, please email me at imfromqueenz@aol.com
If you want the entire scenerio, email me and I will send it to you. Thanks.

The real question is whether Defendant #1 will go out with you after all this suing. Ok... let's get serious.

If both of you were stopped at the light and then you both moved after cars started honking, I question whether there was any causation between the flirting and the near collision of Defendant #2 and Defendant #1. It would seem there really wasn't much, if any. If there was some causation, which seems tenuous at best, you would be contributorily negligent in an amount that might negate most if not all of the recovery. Additionally, I'm not sure how Defendant #1 was negligent in any manner since that Defendant's actions were dictated by the flirting couples' negligent actions, again assuming causation.

Originally posted by quuen
Im trying to research a case for school. The situation goes like this: I am the plantiff, I was stopped at a red light facing northbound in the middle lane of a 6 lane divided road. I was flirting with Defendant #2, who was in the left turning lane, and thoroughly distracted him. When the light turned green we did not notice, and the cars behind started honking. We proceeded to go and I was driving straight ahead. Defendant #2 proceeded to make his left. However Defendant #1 who was driving southbound, almost collided with defendant #2, and swerved and hit the fender and trunk of my car. I am suing both defendants, and defendant #1 is suing defendant #2. Defendant #2 is suing defendant #1 and counter suing me saying I distracted him and caused all of this. I have tried to research the New York State traffic laws to see if it is against the law to flirt with someone else while driving, basically to see if I would be negligent. I dont know what else to look for, as I have to present this case in front of my peers. Anyone have any suggestions. Please help!!! If anyone can help, please email me at imfromqueenz@aol.com
If you want the entire scenerio, email me and I will send it to you. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back