Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accessory of shoplifting

Kareemahmann

Jurisdiction
Georgia
yesterday my cousin got caught shoplifting and I was with her but I didn't steal anything but I got arrested and charged with the same thing she did I'm only 17.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You were charged because you were present likely had knowledge and did nothing to stop theft. Talk to your attorney about plea options and possible defense. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to avoid criminal record

yesterday my cousin got caught shoplifting and I was with her but I didn't steal anything but I got arrested and charged with the same thing she did I'm only 17.

Plead not guilty, ask for a lawyer, tell your lawyer you're innocent, and wish to go to trial.

If you had no knowledge of the shoplifting then the offense likely won't stick.
If you have not already made incriminating statements indicating you ere aware of what was taking place then don't start now.
You at no point had any knowledge of your cousin's addicting or intent, right? RIGHT?

In order to be convicted of the offense the prosecutor will have to prove otherwise, and likely can't unless you say things you shouldn't. You need legal counsel to assist you. This is a very petty issue that is easy to resolve.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You were charged because you were present likely had knowledge and did nothing to stop theft. Talk to your attorney about plea options and possible defense. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to avoid criminal record

Presence at the time of the shoplifting is insufficient.
It must be proven there was knowledge and intent to be an accessory.
It is not her duty to stop a theft. It raises a moral issue, but not a legal one.

Presence at the time of the shoplifting is insufficient.
It must be proven there was knowledge and intent to be an accessory.
It is not her duty to stop a theft. It raises a moral issue, but not a legal one.

All true but fighting the case will cost more than the fine itself. If the OP has the funds to do this great if not he has a problem. In addition if there a witnesses and/or video that shows OP seeing the theft or acting as lookout this "suggest" he had knowledge and possibly participated.

All true but fighting the case will cost more than the fine itself. If the OP has the funds to do this great if not he has a problem. In addition if there a witnesses and/or video that shows OP seeing the theft or acting as lookout this "suggest" he had knowledge and possibly participated.

This whole statement is misleading and assumes a number of things to be true.

As of now all that has happened is an arrest/citation.
Time will tell if the prosecutor believes there is enough evidence to support the charge. It is incredibly common to have the case turned down for lack of evidence.
This might not cost a single penny. Absent some kind of confession I would expect most prosecutors to not waste any time on it.

This whole statement is misleading and assumes a number of things to be true.

As of now all that has happened is an arrest/citation.
Time will tell if the prosecutor believes there is enough evidence to support the charge. It is incredibly common to have the case turned down for lack of evidence.
This might not cost a single penny. Absent some kind of confession I would expect most prosecutors to not waste any time on it.

Again not disagreeing but a person who lacks funding or is dealing with Public Defender my feel he/she has no option but to plea to a deal.

Again not disagreeing but a person who lacks funding or is dealing with Public Defender my feel he/she has no option but to plea to a deal.

My point is that you are way too far ahead with that comment. It may not even get that far.
Many police officers make the same assumption as you did... That if they were together they were an accomplice/accessory. There is more to it than that. The prosecutor is really the first one to really consider if the evidence obtained is sufficient to proceed, and frequently the answer is no.
If no case is filed there is nothing to plea to, and nothing to worry about.
Add to that the fact that it is a juvenile case and there is even less to worry about.

Our OP here knows what was said and what the truth is. If there was knowledge of the theft and any effort to assist, or any confession after the fact, then there is a problem. If not, and the cousin acted alone, and there was no knowledge of what was going on, then it's a waste of time for everyone.

Back