Accessing the court system when one is of insaficent means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wthurman152

Does the poor have a right to the court system or due process, if so why have I found it so difficult to access the system?
I was served notification of action in a civil court issue, regarding a tax certicate forecloser and was required to file an answer within 35 days. I prepared an answer and file with the court along with a fee wiever request, for I do not have the $136.00 filing fee and would not be able to raise it within the time frame giving to answer the complaint. I indicated the currently the only income I recieve is General Assistance for the State of New Jersey to the amount of $140.00 a month. I have monthly expences to cope with i.e. electric,water, and other back bills. I was sumarily denied by the court.It is not as if the court asked for supporting documentation, they asked only for the money! I am in a state of shock to realize that being poor is someting to be punished for through the denial of the very process I need to defend myself against a civil action, that on the face of it the court would require all but $6.00 of my monthly assistance just to file an answer,dispite the consiquences to my other monthly expences. Is somewhere or some higher jursidiction to appeal too? Or what can I do to have a reconsideration of the request????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back