access to personel file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdg1

in illinois does an employee current or former have the right to see and/or make copies of his/her personel file?

In Illinois, a current employee, or an employee terminated within the past year, is allowed access to their personnel file up to twice a year.

The employer may require that the request be made in writing.

The employer has up to seven BUSINESS days after receiving the request to make the file available to the employee. In some, but not all, circumstances, if the employer is unable to make the file available within 7 days, another 7 days may be granted them.

The records can be viewed during the employer's normal business hours at or near the employee's worksite, or at the employer's discretion during non-working hours at a different location. The employer may require that the records be viewed at their location.

After viewing the file, the employee may receive a copy of the file. The employer is allowed to charge the employee for the copy. The employer may not charge more than the actual cost of duplication.

So, what are you expecting the personnel file to prove?

I ask because there are certain documents that are exempted; that the employer is not required to allow you to see.

rdg1

So, what are you expecting the personnel file to prove?

I agree. The only thing other than just wanting to see it is if you are in a disciplinary issue where the only thing that will help you with your file is if there is any deragatory information about you that have not seen or signed.

Just as an FYI, Ramtime, nothing in the law of the OP's state requires them to allow him to see or sign any information, derogatory or not, before it is put into his file.

cbg

Just as an FYI, Ramtime, nothing in the law of the OP's state requires them to allow him to see or sign any information, derogatory or not, before it is put into his file.

That just dosen't seem right. I am glad I am in CA where that is law. I have learned a lot going through legal issue how employee's and employers can screw you and legally get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back