Quiet Enjoyment ABUSIVE LANDLORD

Anne1

Jurisdiction
New York
I rented an apartment more than 28 years ago from an attorney. The apartment is located in a condo building in Manhattan. I had to vacate the apartment due to harassment by the landlord who is an attorney. it was an absolute nightmare. to commence with the landlord/attorney/owner wanted me to pay the rent two weeks before the rent was due. According to the attorney he needs to pay his mortgage and needed me to mail the check two weeks before the rent is due so he could get the rent payment cash the check and have the money to pay his mortgage. If I did not pay the rent as he requested ~~ this was not in writing ~~ this landlord would hold the rent check and then charge me a late fee for an additional $25. During that time $25 was more like $150 today. The stove did not work for more than eight months. There was a persistent smell of gas and no one knew where the lead was. the local gas company Con-Edison turned off the gas and so I could not cook meals for my minor children. There was a leak from the toilet that no one could figure out where it was coming from. That was an ongoing problem for more than nine months. What was the most offensive and threatening is the fact that this landlord would show up at the apartment unexpected. The last straw was when he showed up unexpected and frightened the lady taking care of my minor daughters who were in another room playing. When the nanny walked into the living room there he was standing. This landlord is more than six feet tall and large. Each time I changed the lock on the apartment door he would get a key from the front desk by threatening the worker who had specific instructions to not give the key to the landlord. The last straw was the fact that my family was threatened by his presence. Entering the apartment without first giving notice is not quiet enjoyment as far as I know. This landlord threatening my family was the last straw. I moved out of the apartment before the lease was up four months before the lease ended. But there is also the fact that at nights because he had a key to the apartment I felt it necessary to drag furniture to the door to stop any possible entry during the night. I knew he would pursue me when I moved out and he did. But he immediately was able to rent the apartment which I improved with his permission. He not only sued me in the wrong court where he lives in Nassau County ~~ the apartment is located in Manhattan ~~ he knew the Judge and admitted to knowing the Judge who ruled in his favor. So he was able to obtain a judgment. That date is 1988 ~~ yes 1988. This person has hired one attorney after the next to pursue me seize my bank account demanded the phone company provide him with information about my phone called every landlord for where I have lived including my present landlord. I still feel threatened. Just a few months ago I received a letter and documents telling me that I would be arrested if I did not attend deposition. What am I being deposed for? I can go on and on what are my rights. I hired an attorney during 1996 ~~ I remember that it was 1996 because this landlord seized my account and took more than $4,000 and from time to time has claimed that I either owe him $50,000 or $20,000 he cannot seem to make up his mind. As I said I was just send legal documents with the representation that if I do not comply with the deposition I would be arrested and he went to Court and got a Judge to sign such a document. This is all very threatening.

Hire another lawyer, a better lawyer ASAP.
Any Internet discussion forum is unable assist with complex, complicated matters.

Back