Parole, Probation Absconding advice

Beanie0805

Jurisdiction
California
My boyfriend has been absonding from EOP Parole for 7.5 months and is preparing to, finally, turning himself in. I was hoping for some advice on what the proper steps are to do so. I know it cant be predicted but is there any idea of what kind of punishment we could be looking at? Thank you for your time!

There is no possible way anyone here could know what consequences he might face. You haven't even told us why he is on parole.

Agreed. He should not simply walk in to surrender. This is best done with counsel of a defense attorney.
As for consequences it is anyone's guess, but he should expect to be in the county jail for at least a few months while the matter of absconding is worked out, then he may have additional time depending on what his original conviction and time served was for.
This could be sped up with good legal counsel or take longer without.
As for your own involvement, mere knowledge of his status will not get you into trouble. If you took steps to assist or hide him, then maybe.

My boyfriend has been absonding from EOP Parole for 7.5 months and is preparing to, finally, turning himself in. I was hoping for some advice on what the proper steps are to do so. I know it cant be predicted but is there any idea of what kind of punishment we could be looking at? Thank you for your time!

What happens to him is dependent upon many things, some he can control (be contrite, remorseful, pitiful, apologetic, cooperative, truthful, and beg for forgiveness).

In your state, they don't want to lock up petty criminals, because they're broke.

He might just get a couple of weeks in jail, and let loose on the street to repair his life and serve the rest of his time.

If he's been disobedient too many times, he might get revoked and remanded back to some filthy prison colony where he'll languish away two, three, or more years!!!

What happens to him is dependent upon many things, some he can control (be contrite, remorseful, pitiful, apologetic, cooperative, truthful, and beg for forgiveness).

In your state, they don't want to lock up petty criminals, because they're broke.

He might just get a couple of weeks in jail, and let loose on the street to repair his life and serve the rest of his time.

If he's been disobedient too many times, he might get revoked and remanded back to some filthy prison colony where he'll languish away two, three, or more years!!!
Thank you very much for your advice! He definitely knows where he messed up and regrets this stupid yet enormous mistake. At first, he was afraid to go back after missing his first appointment, which I was not aware of, and that just continued to grow from there. When he recently decided to finally tell me, I told him that it's time to prepare himself to face whatever is to come.

Agreed. He should not simply walk in to surrender. This is best done with counsel of a defense attorney.
As for consequences it is anyone's guess, but he should expect to be in the county jail for at least a few months while the matter of absconding is worked out, then he may have additional time depending on what his original conviction and time served was for.
This could be sped up with good legal counsel or take longer without.
As for your own involvement, mere knowledge of his status will not get you into trouble. If you took steps to assist or hide him, then maybe.
Unfortunately, we cannot afford legal counsel at this time so we are just going to be forced to take it as it comes. I appreciate your advice!

Unfortunately, we cannot afford legal counsel at this time so we are just going to be forced to take it as it comes. I appreciate your advice!

All he has to do is ask for a public defender when he turns himself into his PO.

In some cases, the PO will ask a few questions and release him to return on his own.

If he goes in with family and loved ones, that MIGHT increase his chances of being counseled and release to address his errors without being locked away in jail.

It also helps he he has letters from community leaders to support him or elder citizens who are respected in the area.

Don't give up, miracles do happen.

If you know a judge, or someone you know knows a judge(or prosecutor) that could also ease his immediate pain.

This is what you and he need to know:
California Code of Regulation
California plans to drop warrants for some parole violators
More good news
Parole absconder who posted whereabouts on Facebook released by California authorities
Say what?
Few consequences for GPS absconders
[[[
Maybe his PO doesn't know he went missing?
'''
Division of Adult Parole Operations (DAPO)
===
Go ahead, check it again:
---
How to Check for Parole Warrants in California

Back