Abandonment By Lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krsuwmd

I have been a plaintiff in a case for 5 years now regarding wrongful termination, loss of my business and malpractice by the company's attorney. My lawyer began the case on an hourly fee basis; this continued for approximately 3 years. He then requested to change to a combined hourly fee-contingency system, stating that this would be additional incentive for him to bring the cases to a positive outcome. I felt I had no choice but to agree. He then changed to a full contingency basis approximatley 1-2 years ago, on his request. Throughout these years, he has continued to state that I had a 'great case', etc. I have spent over $100,000 on his fees thus far. Last year, the first part of the case finally went to trial, lasting almost a month, and resulting in a partial judgment for me. However, the judge was so unfamiliar with the topics, it was horrible, and my lawyer recommended appealing, which we did. He demanded that I obtain copies of the court transcripts, which cost me over $10,000. Now, at the start of the appeals, he emails me and states that he can no longer continue on a contingency basis. He states that he is in personal financial difficulty due to a divorce, and states that to continue with the appeal, I will have to pay him a minimum of $24,000 over the next 3 months. I do not have the money to pay more and have strapped my financial resources as it is. I cannot pay a new lawyer to take over the case. He states that if I do not pay this, he can no longer be my laywer. I have spent so much money, as well as 'blood and tears' over the past 5 years, and at the very least counted on my lawyer finishing the process. I am out of options and do not know what to do, or if I have any other choices. Thank you so much for your help.

File a complaint with the state bar.

I am curious, though, on how much you thought you could win.

I mean, spending over $100K and over five years sounds pretty bad to me.

But maybe you did have a "great case". (By the way, never believe a lawyer who says that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back