A Weird situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhenkel

Alright,
I moved into my current apartment thinking I was going to sign a one year lease. But I was never given one to sign. So I just assumed I was a Tenant at Will. Then it turned out that the guy, lets call him Yan, that rented the place to me was not the actual landlord, but a lease holder that was subleasing the apartment to other people. Now the real landlord was aware of this as she knew that he did not live in the apartment and she knew that he had moved us in, I got to meet her on several occasions and not once did she act suprised that I was living there. Then Yan disappeared with some of the sub-leasers' money. The land lord tracked him down and claims to have gotten all of the money from him. But now she is trying to say that none of us are actually tenants because we dont have a lease and she never gave Yan permission to sub-lease the apartment out. She is trying to say that she could just lock us all out if she wanted. I dont think that is legal. Am I not a tenant at will? Or have i lost my tenant rights?

No; she cannot just lock you all out. She can, however, terminate your lease with fairly short notice.

It might be a good idea to either draw up a lease with the landlord or start looking for other rental units in your area.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back