K Visa A US citizen to marry a non-US citizen: best way

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzsmith

A US citizen plans to marry a citizen of Norway and bring her to the US. The "now-girlfriend" has a 6 y.o child, also a Norwegian citizen.

What's the best and easiest way to proceed? Let her come here and marry or what? Will the child be somehow protected by the US laws from the persecution by his biological father (he may not want him to leave Norway)?

Thanks!

I also have a question regarding a US citizen marrying a non-US citizen (who also has a dependant child - age 17) but there are further issues, do I include it in this one or start a new thread?

Thank you

A US citizen plans to marry a citizen of Norway and bring her to the US. The "now-girlfriend" has a 6 y.o child, also a Norwegian citizen.

What's the best and easiest way to proceed? Let her come here and marry or what? Will the child be somehow protected by the US laws from the persecution by his biological father (he may not want him to leave Norway)?

Thanks!

Best option is to do a K( fiancee visa). It takes less than a year. It is best and fastest if you use a lawyer. Consult one..........It would save time......Her kids can also benefit.

I also have a question regarding a US citizen marrying a non-US citizen (who also has a dependant child - age 17) but there are further issues, do I include it in this one or start a new thread?

Thank you

Start your own thread........it makes it easier to address each person's concerns.

Norwegian citizens don't need a visa to visit US. What would happen, if this lady comes here with a child as a tourist and gets married? Do the people, who perform the ceremony (at Townhalls or wherever) look for K visa? Would it be possible (if such situation may happen) to do all the paperwork without her leaving the US?

That is true but immigration considers it a violation to use the visa waiver to knowing fully travel here with intention to migrate or marry. It is an immigration crime or infration. It can be done but I don't advice people to break the law. It could complicate her situation in some cases and even take longer than usual. But once she gets the K visa, her GC would be waiting for her quite easily under a year. Just traveling here and marry would require her possibly answering some questions...........But either way, it can be done. The US immigration lawyer would advice on what to do if she used the visa waiver and stayed.

Can I Apply For A (k1) Fiance Visa If

I met my boyfriend in school and I just found out that he is not legally in the US. My question is if he goes back to his country of origin and I apply for a fiancé visa, the fact that he was living in the us already ;would that be an obstacle to get this (k1) approved?. He's never been arrested
Since we are trying to get married anyway but at the mean time I'm trying to help him out with his status...
I need some advice...

How did he get into the US? What type of visa or entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back