A strange case of landlord abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodneysruss

Be warned this is a bizarre situation which could only happen in Florida.

In early April, my mother's apartment was unlawfully invaded by the property manager of the complex and her belongings were searched and taken out onto the street in grocery buggies. My mother came home to find a deadbolt on her front door. She went and complained to the property manager who informed her that she was not a tenant in the apartment even though she was given the keys the day before by that very same property manager, even helped move by her. My mother had just switched apartments which was approved by the owner of the property and the property managerr. Once the deadbolt was taken off, she entered her apartment to discover all her possessions placed in six grocery buggies lined up against the wall of her apartment. I have pictures to verify this. It took weeks to remove all the items. The carpet was soiled; the grocery carts were pushed through mud and sand. My mother's personal items were thrown into the street. Garbage was poured on her clothing. She was forced to throw away most of her clothing because they were badly soiled. The mental anguish she experienced was tremendous. The humiliation of the events made my mother ill. She felt as if she had been violated. This act was another indication of the contempt and disregard for her privacy that she continues to experience at Whitehall Gardens. She is afraid and threatened of what the property manager may do next. She has received harassing calls from manager asking her to leave. The owner of the property is over 2000 miles away and really doesn't care what the property manager does as long as the rent is collected. He doesn't seem very stable mentally.

The property manager is an eighty year old woman(confined to a wheel chair) who brutalizes the tenants, even going as far as collecting cash for rent and throwing out tenants for non payment. The property manager also a sexual predator who attempted to purchase in cash a four year old girl from her crack addicted mother. Hollywood couldn't write stuff like this.

What kind of case does my mother have? What steps should she take in order to bring the property manager and owner to their knees. She resides in Florida. Can she sue and for how much?

She's spoken to someone from the department for Human Rights who are willing to work out a deal between her and the owner. What is she entitled to?

Thanks,

Rodney

Was any of this reported to the police? I think your first step is to have governmental intervention take place if this is happening. Any agreement or finding of the department could be used in an additional case against these potential defendants. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back