Consumer Law, Warranties A shipping company added costs to a pick-up, am I required to pay them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peevish

I scheduled a ground shipment with a moving company from California to Rhode Island. They quoted me at $1070 for the first 2000 lbs and 50 cents for every pound over that. I found another person in California who was moving east to sign on and split the cost with me. The company was well aware that there was a second person involved, and we used his credit card to book the shipment and he made the first payment. We informed them that I would be making the rest of the payment on delivery. All the contract information was sent to me.

On the day of the pickup, they added almost $900 in additional fees, repackaging many items for a cost, without having informed me in advance that they would need to be repackaged or that this would cost extra. They charged for the second pickup at my partner's storage facility when we were told over the phone that this would be free, and we were charged for one flight of stairs when it is written in the contract that a single flight of stairs is free.

They at no point informed me of any of these additional fees, they just had my partner sign for it, knowing he was not the one who had seen the contract. The question is this: we have only made a preliminary payment to begin the shipment. Am I liable for the rest of this money? They're charging me almost double what they quoted me for reasons that were not stated in the contract, and in some cases were expressly stated to be free. But my partner has signed for it.

They KNOW he was not the one dealing with the contracts. The billing is all in his name and he's never seen the contract, he was just making the first payment. Do I owe them all this extra money?

This company is based in California, if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back