Consumer Law, Warranties A question of liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgileTech

I created a proposal to re-develop an existing application for a local client. The proposal details the functionality I agreed to provide, and stipulates consummation of an agreement based on a signature from the client as well as a 50% deposit on the quoted cost of $6,000. In addition the proposal dictates that if the software is not completed with 6 weeks of consummation, that up to 50% of the quoted project total would be forfeited (based on the amount of time the project is late).

I have received the deposit, but have not received the signed proposal from the client. I have performed 50-60 hours of work thus far however the project remains incomplete from the perspective of the proposal. The project is now 2 weeks overdue (therefore I have forfeited the remainder of the amount due) and this much I am okay with.

However after a rather heated discussion with the owner of the company, I am a bit nervous about the project based on implied threats that I'd have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of liability hanging over my head if this project is not completed by December 15th (the day in which they intend to open another facility). I'm not sure I want to continue dealing with this individual and wonder what type of liability I might incur if I simply refund the deposit I've received thus far and walk away from the project entirely. I am just an individual with a DBA and would certainly like to keep my house and other assets.

Is there any way to protect myself now before the proverbial crap hits the fan? Can I provide a refund and walk away without further liability?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

What does your contract say about all your questions?

By the way, if you could rephrase this and put it in fifth-grade English, it would help.

Clarification or simplification...

Thanks for your reply seniorjudge.

I agreed to write a computer program and took cash up front to do the project. I'd like to give the money back and walk away. I no longer want to do any business with this customer now or in the future.

I simply working off of a proposal with only my signature on it as far as I know. The proposal does not contain any language that governs what I'd like to do. Is this considered a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back