A question of a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mine123

I have a simple question (i think) about a dog that my ex-boyfriend and I were given. We broke up & he says the dog is his and he is going to take me to court over it. But the thing is the dog is registered to me at my address & any vet bills were paid by check out of my ex-bf & my joint checking account and all checks were signed by me. He never attended any vet visits with me & the dog has lived at my home with me. My ex lives with his parents. He claims that the dog is his because the person who gave us the dog gave it to his parents to find it a good home. And my ex & I said we would take it because we were going to get married & now we've ended things. I hope this isn't too confusing. Any help would be very great. Thank you..

As you have the dog, ownership, and records of payment, your ex would likely have to prove a great deal to overcome the presumption that this isn't sour grapes. Remember, that the burden is on the plaintiff to first tip the scales of evidence to his/her favor. As it stands, those points made above -- custody, payments for the dog, and proof of ownership -- loom very large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back