A p.o. who cried, having ultimate last laugh

Jason Zimmerman

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I was given a p.o. after admitting guilt in felony domestic strangulation. I was ashamed of it. Went to treatment immediately after posting bail. This was my first major offense. Was 27 and also last time I heard or saw my daughter with victim of my crime. I had found out that prior to dating victim I was going to be father with part time girlfriend. Victim was willing to work through it but it was cause of tension throughout out our relationship. So I got my p.o. and long story short. She asked for execution of my stayed sentence in repeated violations that I contested in court and won until the final one, when after judge was giving reasons for not sending me to prison, she stormed out of the courtroom, slamming the door. After, I walked by her in the lobby, and she was crying. She saw me and apologized for me seeing her upset and said I had"some sort of magic over these judges". There was a dispute about me having probation time in a different county and in jail, another inmate told me she was smiling when he mentioned that I was in cellblock with him and looking forward to putting probation behind me. Said she was going to push for the court in a different county to keep me on probation and I was in for a surprise. That's what happened. After being released from county I almost immediately had a warrant issued from that other county. I posted bail and on next court date I was surprised to see her in court an hour away from her county she worked for d.o.c. By this time she was no longer my p.o. and even with this new issue, she had been removed from my case because of conflict of interest. I resolved the issue despite her attempts to have me execute 30 days in prison. 10 days in county and my nightmare was officially over. My girlfriend and I were going to move to Phoenix with our son and now daughter. I decided that I wasn't going to move immediately and my girlfriend called police and"faked an injury" and I was handcuffed in front of my children and arrested for felony domestic strangulation. She scratched her throat lightly, in her words, because it was easiest that way.(so I couldn't dispute her moving kids out of state) She eventually in 3rd month of incarceration wrote a recant to prosecutor and judge. No evidence other than scratch mark. We were in a busy hotel with cameras everywhere. But for some reason I would go to court from jail thinking this new nightmare was about to be over and the prosecutor would ask for a continuance another month away. I asked my public defender how it was possible and he said he ran into my old p.o. and that she had contacted this different county asking not to release me if possible, and that's what they did. 3 more continuances and another 3 months I broke and took the offer of a plea agreement that had been on the table from the beginning... take the felony and probation and I could walk. That was 3 1/2 years ago and haven't seen my children since. My ex "forgave herself" and I'm a depressed, anxiety filled mess. I feel the doc was trying to act out revenge for the emberassment of the 8-9 times that I won contested violation hearings. My lifes ruined. Have had no legal issues since ex left and i moved far away from old p.o.. I made a mistake a decade ago and it is still crushing me. They still communicate about me through email. I'm not able to work full time because of my severe anxiety and depression. Well plus..beside the original domestic.. I now had more convictions on record. Can I do anything to take back something out of this? Civil case against d.o.c.?

I was falsely arrested for a felony domestic strangulation. In jail, my cellmate was charged with 2nd degree murder, and it was a high profile case. One day he was called out of cell and never returned. All his court papers, canteen, letters were left in the cell for several days. Eventually a guard removed them. A few days later my public defender asked me about the inmate trying to have me send a letter. I said it happened but I didn't do it. He asked me if during murder trial if I'd testify to it. I said I wasn't sure. The st Paul pioneer press released a front page article in it saying my full name and I was willing to testify in a possible trial. I only knew this because the inmate was moved back into my cell block day before and day the article was released, was given a copy to bring back to the cell block. He wasn't happy and had his people threatening to kill me for jumping on his case. I was forced into the "hole" for my own protection and wasn't happy about it. I eventually took the plea agreement offered 4 months before ... felony domestic strangulation charge and immediate release to probation. I did this because I couldn't handle the"hole" another day. I got released and have hsd severe anxiety attacks and depression. Haven't been able to work and am a mess. Does the paper deserve to be held liable?

Btw I was pleading out right before the guy who paper said I'd testify against.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was falsely arrested for a felony domestic strangulation. In jail, my cellmate was charged with 2nd degree murder, and it was a high profile case. One day he was called out of cell and never returned. All his court papers, canteen, letters were left in the cell for several days. Eventually a guard removed them. A few days later my public defender asked me about the inmate trying to have me send a letter. I said it happened but I didn't do it. He asked me if during murder trial if I'd testify to it. I said I wasn't sure. The st Paul pioneer press released a front page article in it saying my full name and I was willing to testify in a possible trial. I only knew this because the inmate was moved back into my cell block day before and day the article was released, was given a copy to bring back to the cell block. He wasn't happy and had his people threatening to kill me for jumping on his case. I was forced into the "hole" for my own protection and wasn't happy about it. I eventually took the plea agreement offered 4 months before ... felony domestic strangulation charge and immediate release to probation. I did this because I couldn't handle the"hole" another day. I got released and have hsd severe anxiety attacks and depression. Haven't been able to work and am a mess. Does the paper deserve to be held liable?

Btw I was pleading out right before the guy who paper said I'd testify against.

Talk to a lawyer, if you wish.
From your recitation of events, NO, the paper has no liability for printing the news.

You have no case against the DOC, your baby mama, or anyone else because you CHOSE to plead guilty.

You have only YOURSELF and your violent tendencies to blame.

Fix yourself, maybe your life will improve.

Try to be a better person to benefit your child.

Be a good person and a great father.

Go to court, get yourself on child support before she does.

The things you did were your decisions.

Choices have consequences, so we all should think before we leap.

Back