A Nut Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuscanla2007

Hello:

I recently started a business in landscape contracting in Arizona. I went through all the legal channels of getting my LLC, license, and bonding. I am the SOLE member of the LLC. It was finally official mid-January. Since that time, I have been advertising, and only have completed two small jobs.

Yesterday I received a certified letter from an individual stating that the completion of their job was not done, and he gave me a list of about 12 items that were incomplete or not up to standards. He also stated that he was going to report me to the Registrar of Contractors, who governs all landscape licenses, and will proceed with a lawsuit. That is fine an dandy, however, I HAVE NO CLUE WHO THIS GUY IS!

Here are the facts:

1. I don't know this guy - never met him. I only know where he lives now because of the certified letter.

2. I do all the sales, designs, estimates, etc. of EVERY job. I've never even met these people or done a design for them. Furthermore, I have never even proposed any job to them, or written up a contract.

3. He claims he has paid my company from a signed contract on Dec. 14th, 2007. Once again, this is false, as I opened my bank account on January 22, 2007 - and have never accepted or received any monies.

4. He says if things are not corrected and resolved, he is going to go to the Registrar of Contractors. THIS IS MY MAJOR ISSUE - AS I KNOW I HAVE NO LIABILITY WITH THEM.....I DIDN'T SIGN ANYTHING, DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THIS IS!!!

If he goes to the Registrar of Contractors, regardless if I am found guilty or innocent, it still puts a black eye on my company profile online - as it will show as an issue. As a NEW company, this could be catastrophic, leading me to LOSE jobs in the future.

If this person DOES go ahead and report me to the Registrar, and it is listed on my company profile as an issue, Do I have any legal recourse against this guy? Defamation of character? What if I can PROVE that I lost a job because of this report from him??

Update - Which may influence your response

As it turns out, the employee that I hired TWO weeks ago was doing work on the side to put food on the table. This was HIS client. We'll call him Bob. Bob formed a contract, signed a contract, and did the work.

Now that he is my employee, the client is obviously coming after ME for the job.

HELP!!

More Info

I need to make TWO clarifications on my thread.

1. He said I signed a contract on Dec. 14th, 2006 - NOT 2007. Bank account date is correct.

2. "Bob" wrote a contract under "Bob's Landscaping" and NO mention of my company was there.

Thanks.

Make sure you document to this person who you are and that you have nothing to do with it.

Send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Don't talk to him; do everything in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back