A Judgment against Me and have court date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andruw26

Hello. I have a judgment against me (for the remainder of a medical bill not covered by my former employer's insurance plan, approx, $2000.00). I didn't show up for court, and the judgment was entered against me. I have been telling the planitiff's lawyer that I was going to pay the judgment off (since this spring), and now he's had enough. I don't currently have a job, and is threatening me w/contempt of court. I have a court date this week, and I am attending it. I would like to know, what will happen? I had emailed the attorney and asked if I could make payments on the account, and he said I have exhausted all courtisies (truthfully, I understand). I am nervous, and would appreciate a head's up as to what is before me.
Thanks
Andruw

Rule to Show Cause...how serious

The exact hearing box that is checked says that the hearing is for a rule to show cause. In my other post, I explained that I have a judgment for a medical bill (approx. 2000.00). I had made arrangements to pay this off over a 6 month period w/the other attorney, but I was never able to make a payment. Now I have this court date. What should I expect to happen? In doing 'google' research, it does say that jail is a possibility...is that true? Please help.....thanks Andruw

Andruw26 said:
The exact hearing box that is checked says that the hearing is for a rule to show cause. In my other post, I explained that I have a judgment for a medical bill (approx. 2000.00). I had made arrangements to pay this off over a 6 month period w/the other attorney, but I was never able to make a payment. Now I have this court date. What should I expect to happen? In doing 'google' research, it does say that jail is a possibility...is that true? Please help.....thanks Andruw
I'm not sure how jail is a possibility here but let's get to your question about a "show cause" order. Are you bringing it? Normally these are brought in order to prompt to court to do something, e.g. that they should allow you to reopen a case where you defaulted (didn't show up for a hearing) and have a good excuse why you didn't show up and how you might have been able to win your case if you did. Unless we know more, this is all difficult to discuss. If you defaulted on the payment then that is what you did and this should be a civil issue, not criminal -- unless you wrote bad checks and are being prosecuted in criminal court as well. Good luck to you.

Andruw26 said:
Hello. I have a judgment against me (for the remainder of a medical bill not covered by my former employer's insurance plan, approx, $2000.00). I didn't show up for court, and the judgment was entered against me. I have been telling the planitiff's lawyer that I was going to pay the judgment off (since this spring), and now he's had enough. I don't currently have a job, and is threatening me w/contempt of court. I have a court date this week, and I am attending it. I would like to know, what will happen? I had emailed the attorney and asked if I could make payments on the account, and he said I have exhausted all courtisies (truthfully, I understand). I am nervous, and would appreciate a head's up as to what is before me.
Thanks
Andruw
OK - I think we just answered this question. The attorney can threaten all he wants but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. At this point, you may have a judgment issued against you and then they could attempt to seize your assets and garnish wages (if possible in your state.) At this point unless you have some cash to put up, I don't think there are any deals to make and the creditor will go to court to obtain a judgment against you. I'm sorry and wish you better fortune in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back