A Few Questions About Fixing Bad Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelwoof

I have a dispute with Verizon Wireless over a debt which I believe I paid. I don't have proof of this, so I am going to pay again. The debt is not large, but Verizon has severely damaged my credit rating with some very skeevy, and according to the FTC, illegal reporting practices. They have *never* sent me a single collection notice.

I don't trust them. If they don't fix their story after I send them payment, I plan to sue.

Is a cashed check considered evidence? Is it an admissible document in court? Is the tracking information from a USPS Money Order considered evidenciary? They claim that they can provide information as to whether or not the money order has been cashed. I would prefer to not send them any document containing my bank account numbers considering that many disgruntled consumers claim that Verizon defrauds them via multiple charges to credit cards or other direct bank payment methods.

Am I being reasonable in demanding a way to send their payment in a way that requires a signature on their end? If I send either via USPS Registered mail or a private carrier like FedEx, does the signature or receipt they collect constitute evidence?

Am I reasonable in demanding to present payment in person using a trackable financial instrument?

Is their any point at which I can claim that Verizon's claim for payment is invalid because they fail to provide a way to receive a legal tender payment which is acceptable to me?

Thank you!

To clarify about the "they" concerning postal money orders: The post office claims that they can provide information about whether or not the postal money order has been cashed...

After I posted this, I called the bank. They made a quick call and got lucky contacting the bank's legal department.

A canceled check is evidence and with the banks record debiting the appropriate account, it is legal proof of payment.

They also say that a check is a one time use financial instrument and attempts to make multiple withdrawals from any account using information found on a check is fraud; and otherwise would normally not be allowed to occur.

It seems like a dumb question, but I want to be sure. With the sketchy crap that I see creditors and collectors pulling, I don't want Verizon magically pulling $275 from my checking account every month because they claim I authorized an electronic payment using the routing information printed on the check. They did, after all, charge off the debt 29 times.

I am planning to have the check photocopied and notarized, yadda, yadda in the event that there is a dispute over what was agreed to.

I have yet to find a venue into Verizon's accounting department which would allow me to get proof of receipt of my check. My preference is to send the check via Certified or Registered USPS mail with signature confirmation. This will obviate arguments about receipt of payment as I'll have proof. I'm not *sure* that Certified or Registered USPS mail is evidence, so that's a question for the smart people here.

I refuse to allow Verizon to charge my credit card or initiate an electronic transfer because of the many stories here and elsewhere describing creditors and collection agencies taking what they want from people despite agreements for planned payments. Verizon Wireless manages their own internal collection agency, which I have contacted. Their phone agent lied to me more than once, contradicting information given to me by the Fair Trade Commission; reaffirming my belief that they are the kind of sleazebags who will "mistakenly" charge my account multiple times.

My bank also allows me to place a block against any electronic transfers to any entity I specify. It costs $30 to do so, and I will do so once the check clears to protect myself from Verizon Wireless engaging in inappropriate and unauthorized activity in my accounts.

I am still unsure if I my demand to have proof of receipt is considered reasonable. If I could find a mailing address for Verizon Wireless' legal department, they would certainly be set up to receive Certified or Registered mail. While I think it would be reasonable to ask them to route the check to the appropriate department, would a judge think so?

I know this is a lot of effort to go through to pay a relatively small debt. I want incontestable evidence of payment since I paid off this account once and I think Verizon is ripping me off and will try to rip me off again in a few years, citing this debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back