97 MPH Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanaccord

I'd received a 94 MPH(/65 mph) ticket (reckless driving) in Virginia, in 2003. I went to court and was awarded jail-time, license suspension and heavy fine(District Court).

I appealed to Circuit Court and got myself a helpful lawyer. Lawyer told me that particular county was rough with plea-bargaining, he had me get my speedometer inspected. It didn't help that much (as I'd expected), still, it was off by 4 mph. Plus, my record was clean. Judge seemed to like me (and the lawyer I'd gotten) and reduced my speed to 90 mph (no suspension, no jail-time), I thanked the lawyer, paid the fine ($500), and returned home. Knowing that I was a student, the lawyer merely charged me $50 (that generosity of his has made me a different person today).

Surprisingly, the ticket did not appear on my driving record. I was expecting 6 pts. and an insurance hike, nothing happened. Could this be a clerical error?

I clearly remember the judge saying, "The court finds the defendant guilty of reckless driving at 90mph, fined $500."

Anyways, now that I'm graduating and I'm applying for jobs, I want to know whether I should disclose that I've had a misdemenor conviction? Would employers be able to check my conviction? Can it be on some sort of criminal record, even if it is not on my driving record? As I'm an Mechanical Engineer/Aerospace Specialization would it limit my options on getting certain jobs that require security clearance?

I've asked these questions to lawyers but haven't gotten responses. I expect that people on this forum have been in similar situations before and might be able to help.

Thanks in advance, :)

stan_accord said:
I'd received a 94 MPH(/65 mph) ticket (reckless driving) in Virginia, in 2003. I went to court and was awarded jail-time, license suspension and heavy fine(District Court).

I appealed to Circuit Court and got myself a helpful lawyer. Lawyer told me that particular county was rough with plea-bargaining, he had me get my speedometer inspected. It didn't help that much (as I'd expected), still, it was off by 4 mph. Plus, my record was clean. Judge seemed to like me (and the lawyer I'd gotten) and reduced my speed to 90 mph (no suspension, no jail-time), I thanked the lawyer, paid the fine ($500), and returned home. Knowing that I was a student, the lawyer merely charged me $50 (that generosity of his has made me a different person today).

Surprisingly, the ticket did not appear on my driving record. I was expecting 6 pts. and an insurance hike, nothing happened. Could this be a clerical error?

I clearly remember the judge saying, "The court finds the defendant guilty of reckless driving at 90mph, fined $500."

Anyways, now that I'm graduating and I'm applying for jobs, I want to know whether I should disclose that I've had a misdemenor conviction? Would employers be able to check my conviction? Can it be on some sort of criminal record, even if it is not on my driving record? As I'm an Mechanical Engineer/Aerospace Specialization would it limit my options on getting certain jobs that require security clearance?

I've asked these questions to lawyers but haven't gotten responses. I expect that people on this forum have been in similar situations before and might be able to help.

Thanks in advance, :)

THE TITLE IS IN ERROR; IT SHOULD BE 94 mph.

Most job aps ask for misdemeanor convictions (non-traffic related). If you are applying for a job that you drive for I would go and get a 3 to 5 year copy of your driving record and attach it to your resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back