81/50 on GW parkway Federal Land

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlarade

Hi,
The other day I was issued two tickets on GW memorial parkway. The two were Reckless deriving and 81 in a 50 mph zone. I was in the right hand lane and was clocked by a Laser gun at 1745 feet. I wasn't doing 81, I was just under 70 mph. There was a car passing me at ther time. The officer pulled me over as well as the other driver. The officer said that I was at 81 and being passed. I am insisting the 81 was the other driver and not me. At that distance the LASER beam is almost 6 feet wide and most likely registered the speed of the other vehicle. The gun was handheld as well.
I was polite to the Park Police Officer and said that I was not travelling that fast (81mph). I have a MD license with a clean driving history.
I admit to speeding but not the speed. Especially the reckless driving charge. Can I contact the prosecutor prior to court and explain my situation. There is enough doubt at almost half a mile while being overtaken by another vehicle. In New Jersey LASER isn't admissable over 1000ft. I simply want to contest the speed and admit to the lesser charge of 69 in a 50. I have requested a certified copy of my driving record.
ANY THOUGHTS

In Addition

The more research I do the better case I think I have. 1000ft is pretty much the acceptable range. Over 1700 ft is a bit of a stretch, especially if you are being passed by another vehicle. The traffic was typical for 1:30 p.m., quite a few cars on the road. I wasn't in a hurry I was just travelling with the pace of traffic and I was passed by a number of vehicles. I definitely was not driving in a reckless manner.

hum

did you ask to see the clocker? i am unsure about any state laws, but i know that on a military base, you can ask to see the clock. on our base, that's 1 major way to get out of a major ticket, esp when you arent the only 1 driving, and got passed at the same time. on our base, if the MP denies you seeing the clock, we can fight it in court, and it often gets dismissed, b/c *some* cops will reset the clocker when they pull you over, then its he-said, she-said bs...good luck

I di see it

Hi, I was shown the speed of 81 on his gun. That was the only speed he registered for both vehicles. That was the speed of the guy passing me most likely.
Thanks Again

You shouldn't have gotten two tickets for one speeding violation. At that distance a handheld unit is not accurate. It should have been on a tripod. Show up on your court date and see what they offer. If they will not drop the reckless, retain an attorney.

Update on Outcome

I went to court today. They didn't care about my defense. They give three options.

1. Plead guilty and they dismiss the reckless driving
2. Fight the ticket. They arrange another court date and you fight the two tickets...reckless and speeding.
I forget the third option.

I did not hire a lawyer and plead guilty. I have the benefit of a clean driving record so I was simply fined 150 dollars and paid 35 dollars in court costs. It is not worth hiring a lawyer as in every case the reckless was dismissed if you plead guilty. The guy next to me paid 600 dollars for a lawyer and had the same outcome as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back