79/40 on federal land in VA, plus I'm a minor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcait

Hi all.

It was 3am (#1: curfew violation) this past Wednesday, and I was on my way home from a friend's. I had fallen asleep at my friend's house, was past curfew, and just wanted to get home. I was on the GW Memorial Parkway, which for those of you who don't know, is just a parkway that doesn't see much traffic except for during rush hour. Also, the parkway goes thru a few counties, and so it is considered to be under the jurisdiction of the Park Police. Their website states that they follow STATE law.

The road was empty..COMPLETELY empty. No cars for MILES. I was going about 75 in the left lane, when I saw a black car up on the grass on the side of the road. I knew I had been caught. I slowed down and got in the right lane as the car turned their headlights on and followed me for a good 1/2 mile. The policewoman turned her lights on, and I immediately pulled over. Gave her my license+registration, and she gave me 2 tickets. One for 79/40 speeding and one for reckless driving (20mph+ over the limit). She didn't really explain anything to me, just told me that now I had to go to court (she was not pleasant at all). I was very calm for the first few minutes, but when she handed me the tickets I started crying. I came home, and my parents told me that I had just made a really dumb mistake and that it would be ok. My court date is Sept. 16th, 2004.

I'm going to start off with all of my lame excuses as to why my character should help me get my charge lowered. I am 17 years old, about 7 months away from being 18, and I received my license on November 11th, 2003. I have never been pulled over before, and I consider myself to be a very safe driver. My parents obviously trust me with their car, and my friends aren't terrified to drive with me! I have attended very well respected schools my entire life, and have maintained good grades. This past year, I had straight A's. I have done community service for a long time, and I hold a full time (during the summer) job. I have held a job for a year and a half.

Please note, I wrote this about a month and a half ago, two days after I received my ticket, on another forum. I was panicking, and I really wasn't thinking. Now that I look back on it, I realize that I was being completely stupid, and that the cop was just doing her job.

My parents called our lawyer and he said that there's not much he can say that we can't, and that his services would just be almost a waste of money.

All I want to know is what I can expect.. I am expecting my license to be restricted, because I need it to drive to school and work, but I am hoping I can avoid that.

Just posting a quick reply to update y'all on what happened.

Prosecutor came up to my parents and me before court and offered a plea bargain..they'd drop the reckless charge as long as I paid the fine and took the points for the speeding. We accepted, and sat for our turn.

My name was called, and the judge asked me to speak on my own behalf. I told him that I was a good student, that I had a job, and that I had just made a mistake and I was very sorry. Afterwards, the other prosecutor stood up and asked the judge that the previous plea bargain be voided and offered the following (often referred to as a deferred judgment I believe):

If I stay out of trouble for 9 months, and complete 39hrs of community service, the case will be dismissed.

The judge wasn't too pleased, but accepted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back