Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse 7 years really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monroe00

My buddy was arrested and received 2 charges: posession of marijuana (under a gram) and drug paraphornilia. It has been almost 2 months since his arrest and he hasn't received anything in the mail reguarding the charges or a court date. His lawyer said they would either "push it under the rug" or he would recieve something in the mail to enroll him in the TASC program. From my undertstanding, the district attorney has up to seven years to press charges. How long does it usually take? Does it really take up to seven years? Also, he is moving soon so how does he change his address with the court system? Thank all of you for your help.

He needs to stay on top of this. My son didn't receive a court date notice until 7 months later. They won't just push it under the rug. He should contact the court clerk and give them his change of address as well as giving it to his lawyer. If he does this by phone, he needs to follow up with a return receipt certified letter to both. When he calls the court clerk to inquire about changing his address he should ask about the court date. Additionally, he should make sure he gives the post office a change of address card so he'll recieve his mail at the new address. Also, give the address to his landlord with a self-addressed stamped envelope ( a large vanilla one). Have it weighed with a lot of mail in it and then ask for that postage to be applied to the envelope and give it (emptied) to the landlord. The change of address card is only good for I think 90 days (have him ask) so he may need to do it twice if they'll let him. Whatever he does, he should not drop the ball on this because if does not show up in court they will have an arrest warrent filled out on him and next time he runs a stop sign and gets pulled over it will pop up and he'll go to jail for failure to appear. It is his responsibilty to keep following up, so he won't be able to blame someone else if he doesn't get the notice.

My buddy was arrested and received 2 charges: posession of marijuana (under a gram) and drug paraphornilia. It has been almost 2 months since his arrest and he hasn't received anything in the mail reguarding the charges or a court date. His lawyer said they would either "push it under the rug" or he would recieve something in the mail to enroll him in the TASC program. From my undertstanding, the district attorney has up to seven years to press charges. How long does it usually take? Does it really take up to seven years? Also, he is moving soon so how does he change his address with the court system? Thank all of you for your help.

Keep copies of all correspondence you have with your lawyer and all correspondence with the court.

In fact, it is a good idea for you to send all such correspondence certified mail, return receipt requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back