65 in 45, 1st offense, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

harperjn

I received a ticket for going 65 in a 45 in NC. I have never had a speeding ticket before. I would like to get this down to a 9 over instead of a pjc. Who knows if I will be in NC all my life and I don't want it coming back to haunt me if I move to another state. I would like to try pleading it down myself first. Can I do this before my court date? Would I talk to the clerk of courts or ADA or who? I would like to do it before my court date in case I am unsuccessful and could then get a lawyer to do it. Thanks!

Here is my experience from my 64 in a 45 that I went to court for last month here in Wake county (Raleigh, NC):

I showed up about two hours early, got in line in the court room that I was assigned, when I got up to the front of the line the clerk got my record and asked if I wanted to get it reduced, I said yes, then I stepped to the side of the desk where the ADA asked if I wanted it reduced, I said yes, she granted it and reduced it to 9 over, then I paid and left. I didn't even have to ask her to get it reduced, she asked me. I actually found the ADA very friendly, and cute.

I dressed up in a suit which I believe may have benefited me considering the clerk at first thought I was a lawyer. I think it shows respect for the court.

Maybe I got lucky, but it seems to me that with all the people in line, they just want to get their money (court fees) and get you out of there. I personally feel that a lawyer is overkill, but don't take that as legal advise ;]

Good luck.

harperjn said:
What would be an average cost for the lawyer's fees for the plea?

Thanks

Wait a few days and you will get a ton of offers in the mail. I think they started at like $200.00, but I really didn't read them, I just threw them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back