60 days notice to quit???

kylelancaster

I am currently trying to find another job. Looking at my employment contract, I see that my current job requires a 60 days notice in order to be able to quit (otherwise they will want monetary compensation from me). I work in corporate public relations.

Is this even legal? Doesn't such long period infringe upon my right to be employed anywhere else? Also, would that be legally enforceable in court? (I live in New York City).

Thank you.

There is nothing illegal about it. There isn't any law that says they can't require two years notice if they want to. (In employment law, an action is considered legal unless there is a law that expressly makes it illegal.) For some positions, 60 days isn't even unreasonable. Obviously I can't know if yours is one of them or not.

However, legal and enforceable are not the same thing. Since I can't read the entire agreement from here, you'll want to take it to a NY attorney who can review the entire agreement (not just one phrase taken out of context) and can tell you what your options are.

In some positions it might take quite some time to fill it after notice given or to train someone to do the job. (or it could be for some other reason) I don't see anything illegal here but would take the contract to a NY employment or contract attorney for review, as noted above, to get an opinion on whether it would be enforceable.

I am currently trying to find another job. Looking at my employment contract, I see that my current job requires a 60 days notice in order to be able to quit (otherwise they will want monetary compensation from me). I work in corporate public relations.

Is this even legal? Doesn't such long period infringe upon my right to be employed anywhere else? Also, would that be legally enforceable in court? (I live in New York City).

Thank you.

I don't encourage or endorse what I'm about to reveal, but its been reported to me that it does work.
Some people get sick, so sick they are out if work, 30-45 days. They're not sick on their new job.

Others simply take vacation, and never return.

Some get terminated for some minor thing.

No one can force you to work.

Others tell me their new employer understands their dilemma, and agrees to hire them to conform with the 60 day termination window.

Where there's a will, you'll find a way.

Back