60 Day Notice to Terminate Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymeric

Entered into a 1 year contract with apartments in the LA area, original contract states that the tenant (me) is required to give a 60 day notice if I intend to leave or move at the end of my lease term. At this point, no problems, I was going to sign on for another year anyways.

I received a notice with my new contract and pricing 45 days before my lease end, stating that my rent would be raised by over 13% which is out of my budget. I called and tried to renegotiate, they looked it over and responded back at the 30 day mark to my lease end.

At the 30 day mark, I submitted my letter to terminate my lease because I couldn't afford the new payment. Now the apartment management is telling me that because my original contract stated that I am required to give them 60 days notice, I would be required to pay an extra month at a "month to month" rate which is double my normal month's rent.

They claim to have left a notice with my new rate at the 75 day mark (did not receive), and stated that I would be sent to collections for the remaining month's balance if I moved at the end of my actual lease.

Is this legal to enforce a 60 day notice, increase rent at 45 days into it, claim 30 days notice is not sufficient, and say that they reminded me 75 days ago?

Someone pointed out California Civil Code 1946, but I am not clear on the legal jargon and how it would apply in my case. Any help would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back