Other Criminal Charges & Offenses 6 Misdemeanors

Shontiquap

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
Hi this past Monday my boyfriend was recently arrested due to his mom & grandmother pressing charges. He is charged with 6 different misdemeanors. 2 counts simple assault, 2 counts of malicious injury (one to person & one to property), resisting arrest, & petty larceny. Each charge was 1000+ a piece with his bond being 6500 surety. He goes to court on the 23rd of October. He has no priors & is 21 years old. If nobody drops the charges what kind of sentencing could he be facing when he goes to court? Is jail time possible? We have a newborn I'm hoping no jail time will be issued.

Last edited:
He might get jail time, probation, or win an acquittal.

At his hearing he should plead not guilty and ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent him.

He should not discuss the case with anyone but his lawyer, that goes for you, too.

what kind of sentencing could he be facing when he goes to court?

Probably none. The 10/23 court date is likely an arraignment, and he'll likely do nothing other than plead guilty or not guilty. If he pleads guilty, sentencing will likely happen at a later date.

Is jail time possible?

Given the nature of the charges, you don't seriously think there's a chance that there's no possibility of jail time, do you? Of course it's possible.

I'm hoping no jail time will be issued.

Then your boyfriend better consult with a local criminal defense attorney ASAP. If he can't afford to hire an attorney, he can contact the public defender's office.

He is charged with 6 different misdemeanors. 2 counts simple assault, 2 counts of malicious injury (one to person & one to property), resisting arrest, & petty larceny.

Is your boyfriend a druggie or boozer? One of those is often the explanation of that kind of craziness happening all at once.

Is jail time possible?

Yes.

Misdemeanors typically come with up to a year in jail each plus a hefty fine each.

No way to even guess how this turns out.

Is your boyfriend a druggie or boozer? One of those is often the explanation of that kind of craziness happening all at once.

Yes.

Misdemeanors typically come with up to a year in jail each plus a hefty fine each.

No way to even guess how this turns out.
No HE IS NOT a drug user or drinker actually his mom hit him in the head with a broken table leg with nails in it & he had to get staples. She threw the first hit I was there. He was overcharged! She told the police she didn't hit him & didn't know where the blood came from but it's his word against hers so. All he did he did was push her after that & broke the table, which is why he recieved the malicious injury charge & simple assault.

Probably none. The 10/23 court date is likely an arraignment, and he'll likely do nothing other than plead guilty or not guilty. If he pleads guilty, sentencing will likely happen at a later date.

Given the nature of the charges, you don't seriously think there's a chance that there's no possibility of jail time, do you? Of course it's possible.

Then your boyfriend better consult with a local criminal defense attorney ASAP. If he can't afford to hire an attorney, he can contact the public defender's office.
I was told the charges may be dropped when he goes to court & that the possibility of jail time is there but not likely. He will be speaking with a public defender.

Back