501c3 Youth Sports Organization

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I am trying to find more information as to who controls money that comes into a non profit sports organization. Briefly we have a main "parent" organization in our area that encompasses many sports, ie little league baseball, babe ruth baseball, football, soccer, cheer leading, etc I am a member of the Babe Ruth board and in charge of sponsorship, we run under the charter of Babe Ruth league. We are recently coming up on the issue that the "parent" organization has unilaterally decided to take little league, soft ball and babe ruth under a new umbrella called Diamond Sports and they plan to do away with Babe Ruth and replace it with Senior Little League, the Babe Ruth Board has not agreed to this, but we were told we have no say. We have been looking to take our charter and reform on our own, the problem we are coming upon is that the "parent" organization is telling us that any equipment and funds that we have are not actually ours and that they belong to the parent organization and that they will withhold them from us. These funds are from sponsorship specifically for the Babe Ruth Program, fundraisers specifically for the babe ruth program, advertising, funds from running babe ruth specific tournament and fees collected from Babe Ruth players. Do we have any legal right to the fund or can they just come in and claim them as they are trying to do?

I am trying to find more information as to who controls money that comes into a non profit sports organization. Briefly we have a main "parent" organization in our area that encompasses many sports, ie little league baseball, babe ruth baseball, football, soccer, cheer leading, etc I am a member of the Babe Ruth board and in charge of sponsorship, we run under the charter of Babe Ruth league. We are recently coming up on the issue that the "parent" organization has unilaterally decided to take little league, soft ball and babe ruth under a new umbrella called Diamond Sports and they plan to do away with Babe Ruth and replace it with Senior Little League, the Babe Ruth Board has not agreed to this, but we were told we have no say. We have been looking to take our charter and reform on our own, the problem we are coming upon is that the "parent" organization is telling us that any equipment and funds that we have are not actually ours and that they belong to the parent organization and that they will withhold them from us. These funds are from sponsorship specifically for the Babe Ruth Program, fundraisers specifically for the babe ruth program, advertising, funds from running babe ruth specific tournament and fees collected from Babe Ruth players. Do we have any legal right to the fund or can they just come in and claim them as they are trying to do?

Your question is complex and depends on many facts that we simply do not have. You would be wise to seek the opinion of a local attorney.

Having said that: If you are, in fact, controlled by the parent body, then it seems logical that they call the shots in the end.

I am trying to find more information as to who controls money that comes into a non profit sports organization.

If you're thinking that there is an answer that is universally or generally applicable to all such organizations, that is incorrect.

Do we have any legal right to the fund or can they just come in and claim them as they are trying to do?

I'm not really sure who "we" and "they" are (and, as noted above, the situation you described seems fairly complex), but answering your question would require a review of the governing documents of the organizations involved. Consult with a local attorney.

Do we have any legal right to the fund or can they just come in and claim them as they are trying to do?

Internet strangers can type that you have many things and/or rights to many things, even things you desire to read.

The problem for you is making the drivel typed by these strangers believable by REAL people, who would likely laugh you out of their offices or homes when you tell them that "smart woman", "knowitalldude", "geniuslass", or "sweetlegalscammer" said THIS, THAT, or WHATEVER.

If you wish to ascertain your legal rights regarding some mythical loot, hire yourself a real lawyer and instruct (& commission) the real lawyer to initiate a legitimate lawsuit seeking a GENUINE judge to issue a LEGAL court order commanding WHOEVER to fork over $QRSTXYZ to you, forthwith!

Back